We’re proud to release the new Footnote.com. I am the senior user interface designer for Footnote and wanted to share with you ten things that you can do on Footnote with this release that you might not have considered.
- Look on the search results for annotations by members. For example this result shows that 2 annotations have been added to this document.
- Browsing for a document is fast and easy. Our browse page provides a powerful tool that lets you drill down to a specific document or search within a title. You can even bookmark where you have browsed to or send that link to a friend. For example, here is the browse page going straight to the Gettysburg Address.
- On any document you can annotate names, places, dates or text, which are then instantly searchable. This makes it easy for you to share your discoveries with the world.
- Upload any of your own documents or photos. Then you can annotate names, places, dates, or text, which are then instantly searchable also. For example this headstone that was uploaded by a footnote member. Try uploading one of your own.
- Have something interesting to say about a document you find or just want to add your two cents? You can leave comments on any document or photo.
- Write a page about any topic. People will be able to find these pages too. I have started a page containing all of the images I’ve found with John Hancock’s signature.
- Every member has a profile page that shows what they have written and how many annotations they have made—here’s mine.
- All-Access members can invite friends to view documents attached to your
member pages, and those friends won’t need to subscribe to see these documents. It makes it easier to collaborate and share ideas with them.
- Let people know that you are a Footnote Member and what you have been doing on Footnote. Include a Footnote member card on your website or blog that shows how many annotations you have made. I have included one on my personal website.
- Easily increase the type size on our site. We hope to make our site just a little more accessible for those that need the bigger type. Just go to your account and under Member Settings select “Change Font Size”.
While there are other things you can do on Footnote I hope these whet your appetite for the time being. Rest assured, we are already working on adding some more fun and exciting things to Footnote. Remember, that we always appreciate your feedback on the website and that together we discover.