Military Yearbook Collection, 1900-2011

When researching military history, one often overlooked source is military yearbooks. Before embarking into military service, every member of the US Armed Forces received specialized training in camps, bases, and training facilities, across the country. All branches of the US military have published yearbooks. Graduates could purchase them when they completed training. Much like a high school yearbook, military yearbooks contain names, photographs, and details from a serviceman or servicewoman’s training. Fold3 has a collection of 108 military yearbooks. They contain more than 157,000 indexed names and nearly 17,000 images. These yearbooks date from 1900-2011. Here are some examples of what you might find in this collection.

Advanced Flying School, Army Air Forces (1943): Based in Phoenix, the yearbook for the Class of 1943 Aviation Cadets at Luke Field includes indexed photographs of the cadets, information about their training, recreation, and details about Chinese pilots that trained alongside them. After graduation, some of these cadets would make the ultimate sacrifice for their country. One example is Peter A. Boele. After leaving Luke Field, he was assigned to the 20th Fighter Wing, 55th Fighter Squadron. On May 25, 1944, 2nd Lt. Boele was shot down near the Netherlands and crashed into the sea. His yearbook photograph is on a page with 13 other cadets – nearly half of whom died while serving their country.

Citizens Military Training Camp (1923): Between the years 1921-1940, the military held training camps that allowed men to obtain basic military training without an obligation for active duty. This yearbook is from the Citizens Military Training Camp (CMTC) at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. In 1923, 25,000 men attended a CMTC where they trained in physical fitness, good citizenship, and the importance of serving in a time of need. This yearbook contains rosters, photographs, and histories.

US Army Training Center, Infantry (1969): Some soldiers fighting in Vietnam first attended Basic Training at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. From the moment of arrival, soldiers underwent rigorous physical and weapons training, drills, and inspections. The specialized training helped our fighting forces prepare for jungle warfare in Vietnam. This yearbook contains indexed photographs and a history of a soldier’s time spent at Fort Bragg.

US Coast Guard Academy (1925): Located in New London, Connecticut, the Coast Guard Academy helped prepare future Coast Guard Officers. Particularly noteworthy in this yearbook is the collection of photographs and biographies for those attending the academy.

Explore our Military Yearbook Collection on Fold3. If you have a military yearbook or Unit History that you would like to donate to this collection, please contact us at [email protected]. We can digitize your book and return it to you undamaged. Help us preserve these important military records and make them available for others to explore free of charge. See our entire collection of military records on Fold3 today!

1. nancy says:

Do you have the name Alan Whittier Lowell in any WWII era yearbooks? Camp Blanding, Camp Rucker , Camp Robinson, or other!. Thanks!

2. PLEASE – Any yearbook that would have information on Kermit H. Rice of Parker, Idaho who served our country during WWII in the US Army Air Corp in the Aleutian Islands and later in Tampa, Florida. Family has been told his military records were destroyed.

3. John A. McHardy, Jr says:

My father, John A. McHardy, served with the artillery at Fortress Monroe, VA in 1917. Is there a book from that post? My service with the Judge Advocate General Corps from 1967to 1987 at Fort Sam Houston, TX; (1967-71)The JAG school at Charlottesville VA (1967-71) US. Army Judiciary Vietnam, (1971-1972)and Nuremberg and Mannheim, Germany (1972-76, Ft. Rucker AL US Army Safety Center(1976-79), US Army Proving Ground, Dugway, UT, (1979=87) Any records of those posts or assignments?

f.t. Mead, MD 1st US Army (1979-82)

4. Lynda Rushing says:

Do you have any information on Odell Byers? He had a yearbook that was lost. 68th Medical Regiment, 2nd Army, Company D, Camp Grant or Camp Forrest, 1942.

5. My brother, Donald Brian Saunders, began his U.S. Regular Army Basic Training at Fort Benjamin Harrison, then completed his Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. He was then stationed at Fort Ord, California. He purchased a year book at Fort Ord. I believe the year was 1963/1964. He was with the same group as Gerry Lewis, of the band Jerry Lewis & the Pacemakers who wrote in his yearbook. Don is deceased, his yearbook has gone missing, and I’m the sole surviving member of his family. I would love to see a copy of, or buy a copy of my brother’s yearbook. Thank you.
    Bonnie Saunders (now Maitland)

6. Bernard Snider says:

Do you have any information on Orin Loraine Snider from Kearney, Neb from about 1935 through 1945? He was in the ARMY. Thanks for any information.

7. Marcy Fralick says:

I have my Dad’s WWII 44th Infantry Division yearbook, and it’s wonderful. My dad wasn’t mentioned, nor were there any photos of him, but there were of his Medic group and his company. Along with his journal and all his photos, it’s a pretty complete account of his tour of duty in Europe from 1942-1945.

• Jenny Ashcraft says:

Hi Marcy, If you would be willing to let us digitize your dad’s yearbook, we can return it to you without damage. Please reach out to us at [email protected] if you are interested. Thanks.

8. Lisa Augustine says:

Hello, Do you have yearbooks for Camp Robinson in Arkansas during WW2?

9. Robert C Walls says:

do you have Camp Blanding in Florida

10. Sharyn Marvin says:

Do you have any information on George Marvin Thompson from Northwood, Iowa. He trained at Camp Blanding, Florida. He was in the 36th Infantry Division.

11. Sherri Corcoran says:

I’m looking for my dad’s info Roger Lee Corcoran. I have his yearbook I believe its 1953 in California probably San Diego. I just want to know how long he has been in Navy. I have a few pictures. I will be happy to send you the yearbook but I need it back…
    Also curious about Roy Otis Mayo – believe he involved in Korean War in 1950-53?!?

12. Maureen R McNeill says:

Do you have any books for Parris Island for 1947?

• Jenny Ashcraft says:

Hi Maureen, It looks like we have several years of Parris Island (including 1945) but not 1947.

13. Eileen says:

My father, John F O’Brien, was a gunner on a B-17 in WW2. Served at Deopham Green in the UK and was a POW. Do you have info on him?

14. Michael Barney says:

Any information for a Benjamin Barney Navy WWI, or Edwin Barney marine corps WWII would be greatly appreciated.

15. Gail Smith says:

Any listing of Fannie C Johnson who was a nurse during WWII. She was from Malone, Florida . She would have joined the nurses corps in 1942 or 1943

16. Julie says:

Anything on Marvin Franklin brown USMC viet nam, career marine

Julie

17. Bernie Brown says:

Looking for Gerald LaGrand Brown USAF 1951-1953 Korea.. Stationed at Brady Air Field, Japan as a fuel specialist.

18. Rita says:

Can you kindly tell me if you have any information for Vincent Pazzano, WWII, who served in the South Pacific? Thank you

19. Jeanne Weaver says:

I am looking for any records for:

Leo Jendreszak discharged from service 1/3/1919
    Served as a Private Co A 45 Inf Chicago, IL

John Stanley Jedrzejczak registered in the draft 9/12/1918
    served in the Calvary in SanFrancisco in 1921

20. Carole Keith says:

Do you have anything about Roland T. Puryear? He was in the United States Army Air Force and trained at the airport in Atlanta, GA, served in Lady, Philippines and in Australia. Thank you.

21. Mary Wilson says:

Do you have anything on my grandfather’s Herbert William Holsinger? And or Roy Norman Brown both served in World War II my grandfather Herbert Holsinger was a private and as for my grandfather Brown I’m not sure I haven’t really got much information on him which I would love to have thank you in advance Mary

22. M wilson says:

Do you have anything on my grandfather’s Herbert William holsinger with a private in World War II and served 3 years traveling but he is originally from stout Ohio or Buena Vista and my grandfather Roy Norman Brown also served in World War II I don’t have many details on him as I would love to thank you in advance you guys are awesome

23. Carolyn Clarkson says:

Do you have any information on Sylvanus Jenkins from Green Cove Springs, Florida?

24. Cari lettori di questo testo, per favore leggete la mia storia fino alla fine.
    Forse potete aiutarmi con le informazioni. Allo stesso tempo, Vi chiedo di condividere questa mia storia con i vostri conoscenti. Si tratta di quanto segue:
    Sto cercando informazioni su mio zio, il fratello di mio padre, che è andato nell’esercito professionale degli Stati Uniti nel 1960.
    Molto probabilmente ai Marines.
    Vivevamo a Trieste, nella parte orientale della città, nonna, nonno, madre, padre, il fratello di mio padre e io. Ci siamo trasferiti da Fiume(oggi Croazia) come rifugiati.
    La nostra famiglia è stata tragicamente uccisa e sono tornata in Jugoslavia,o meglio mi ci hanno portato con forza . Sono cresciuta in una famiglia adottiva dall’età di quattro anni. I genitori adottivi mi hanno dato informazioni imprecise sulla mia origine. Si sono presentati a me come miei genitori,dicendomi che quelli che sono morti erano invece solo dei miei parenti.La frase che mi dissero era”noi ti abbiamo riportata a casa sei tu che ti sei dimenticata di noi”.Sono cresciuta con quella convinzione, e i miei parenti non sono mai stati più menzionati. Mio zio mi ha chiamato al telefono, si è presentato come il fratello di mio padre, ma non sapevo chi fosse veramente,gli ho risposto che forse aveva sbagliato persona.Finché un giorno i miei genitori adottivi mi ha detto freddamente che non appartengo alla loro famiglia e che non devo più tornare lì ,che vado a cercare le mie origini altrove .Non mi hanno dato Nessuna spiegazione della mia origine.Non li ho più rivisto e nel frattempo sono morti.Ho attraversato un periodo molto stressante. Allo stesso tempo cercavo risposte alla domanda da chi provengo. È arrivato lo statuto legale di prescrizione per le istituzioni. Gli investigatori privati ​​hanno ricevuto poche informazioni. La mia memoria della prima infanzia mi ha aiutato. I feriti dell incidente o meglio quelli che sono morti sono in realtà la mia famiglia, padre, madre, nonno e nonna. L’adolescente con cui giocavo da piccola era mio zio. Voleva fare il soldato ed è andato nell’esercito degli Stati Uniti. Una volta era arrivato con una bella uniforme e un taglio di capelli completamente rasato.Non lo avevo riconosciuto e si era arrabbiato con me.Non credo che sia più vivo o forse lo è.Sono sicura che mio padre gli aveva prestato i soldi per il viaggio. Gli ha detto che avrebbe dovuto restituirgli il doppio ma era una battuta.Prego Dio che sia vivo, che piangiamo insieme …
    Adesso posso cercarlo solo per descrizione, ho dimenticato il suo nome, secondo me è nato nel dopoguerra, forse nel 1945. Era basso, capelli castano chiaro e abbastanza capriccioso, con un indirizzo triestino si arruolò nell’esercito. Credo che sia nato a Fiume (oggi Rijeka Croazia)e probabilmente queste informazioni esistono negli archivi militari.
    Il mio cognome si pronunciava Mainer, ma forse qualcosa è scritto diversamente in inglese. Sono Vivian, nonno Francesco, mio ​​padre Alesso, non conosco il nome di mia nonna e lo stesso di mia madre. Credo che avesse qualche collega militare dove magari ha raccontato la sua storia ,la nostra tragica storia.Forse qualcuno lo riconosce da questa descrizione della nostra famiglia. Vivo nella speranza che qualcuno mi contatterà. Se è morto, voglio sapere lo stesso.
    Vi sarò molto grato “Triste”Vivian!

25. Patti says:

Hello…
    Wondering if there is an army yearbook for 1943 Fort Bragg or any from 1942 for Fort Niagara. Also, we’re any books created in 1944 from Liverpool, England?
    Thank you so much. I’m looking for a photo for PFC Sebastian DeVivo.

26. Peggy Gaston Graff says:

Could you please check for my father, Edward Herman Gaston? I’m not too sure of the year, either 1946, 1947 or 1948. He was in the Army/Air Corps. I know at one point he was stationed in Germany and/or Witchita Falls, Texas.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

Peggy Gaston Graff

27. Melody Lovely says:

I’m trying to find information of my deceased father-in-law, Reginald Lovely from Presque Isle, Maine. He served in WWII, but NEVER talked about it. Only saw his tattoo and 2 pictures. Any help would be appreciated as I don’t know where to start.

28. Mark says:

Hello Nancy,
    I have been trying to find a WWII yearbook that includes a William E. Barrett who at one time was at Camp Gordon Georgia.
    He was a radio electrician in HQ company, Combat Command A, Tenth Armored Division.

Mark

29. Betty J Chaires says:

I was wondering if you can get copies of year books, I have several members from 1800s to present day. All wars, ww1, ww2, Korean war, Desert storm, civil war, plus more, army, navy, marines, national guard, a huge family on both sides of military servers. Some things may get on ancestry alot I don’t. I have paid extra for fold3 and other items. Any help you can give, I’ll be grateful. Thank you! Betty Chaires most names are either Holliday, or Hollenbeck, also an aunt Virginia Cook Holliday, most lived in oswego, sciba or other areas of New York USA

30. GEORGE KLETT says:

Greetings! Your good work is appreciated!
    Two items. Do you have a class book of USAF Primary Pilot Training Class 59-F at Bainbridge Air Base, Georgia (Spring and summer of 1958). If not, I will be happy to work with you in making a copy of my book if you wish. Also, do you have a copy of Class 59-F Basic Pilot Training at Laredo Air Force Base, Laredo Texas (Fall of 1958 and winter of 1959). This one I do not have but would like to secure a copy. Thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Lt. Col. George Klett, USAFA
    979-229-1103

31. Susan Glatz says:

Looking for information on my dad – Kile R Wilson served in WW II, Signal Core, New Guinea and other parts of South Pacific. Can you help me or at least lead me in a direction to research???

32. D ( Houdasheldt) McNulty says:

Do you have Floyd Wendell Houdasheldt a WWII Seabee w the Navy in the Pacific theatre in a yearbook or other record ?

33. Virginia Jarrell says:

Hello I would to ask if your research could find anything relating to my dad who was at Camp Thomas , Kentucky in 1942 His name was Melvin Jackson Jarrell known as Red and he trained for the 327 Glider Infantry – Thank you so much for your time .

34. Kim Roane says:

I have my dad’s yearbook. The Black Pirates southwest Pacific 1942-1944. The book is in excellent condition. I am willing to donate it to fold3 if it is wanted.

35. EVA WARD says:

Do you have anything on Walter J Ward Jr, from Fort Jackson? Probably 1966.

36. Claire Mailloux says:

My husband Paul Mailloux was in the Air Force 1959 to 1961.I would like to see the first picture of him taken by the Air Force.

37. Frances Sharp says:

My Uncle, Raymond Houston Anderson, was a long time member of the US Army Rifle Team. He was born in 1915 and began his service in the Navy on November 2, 1942 and was released November 1, 1945. I wonder if you have access to any pictures of him and or his Team or his class in San Diego?
    Thanks in advance.

38. “Before embarking into military service, every member of the US Armed Forces received specialized training in camps, bases, and training facilities, across the country. ”

Actually no, you join or get drafted and then if you are selected for a school, you are sent. Some ships also have cruise books, and if you are not part of ships company you may or may not be mention as a detachment.

39. Looking for something of my dad. He had pictures in the US Army Uniform but were stolen from their storage unit. His name was William Roy Hubert and all we know is he was a guard on a pow camp in the US and the German pow made a beautiful Train out of a chunk of wood and its beautiful. My sister said she thought that dad took basic at Fort Leanordwood. He signed up in 1942 to 1946 from Tacoma, Washington as him and his brothers lived in Snohomish County in Washington state.