Fold3 HQ

Reconstructing the Past: The National Personnel Record Center Fire of 1973

This month we welcome a special guest contributor to the Fold3 blog. Michael Strauss is an Accredited Genealogist and works at Ancestry ProGenealogists®.

On July 12, 1973, a catastrophic fire broke out in the National Personnel Record Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri. This facility housed the United States military personnel files. The fire broke out shortly after midnight, and firefighters arrived on the scene within minutes. Crews managed to reach the sixth floor of the complex, but the fire was so intense that it burned out of control for 22 hours. It took four and a half days to extinguish the flames fully.

After the fire was out, the NPRC was tasked with determining the fire’s root cause and deciding how to proceed with recovery efforts for records feared destroyed. Authorities could not determine the cause of the fire, and the staff immediately turned their attention to the records. Was anything salvageable?

B-File (or burnt file) discharge certificate for Burton Lancaster (courtesy National Personnel Record Center)

Military records lost in the fire

Between 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) records were either destroyed or damaged due to the fire.

The United States Army personnel records suffered the most from the blaze. Files for personnel discharged between November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960, were 80% destroyed.

The United States Air Force (founded on September 18, 1947, and separated from the Army) also suffered significant losses. Personnel records from September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964, were 75% destroyed. The loss began with surnames starting with James E. Hubbard.

Fortunately, the military personnel records from the United States Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard were unaffected by the fire and remain intact.

What is considered archival?

Military personnel records are open to the public 62 years after a service member leaves the military. For genealogical research purposes, records of the Punitive Expedition of 1916, World War I, World War II, and the Korean War should have no restrictions. For any service members separated after 62 years, the records are non-archival and subject to access restrictions. Access is granted and understood to include an immediate family member.

Reconstructing lost records

Three commonly used record sets can be requested to reconstruct losses from the 1973 fire.

Burnt Files: These records called “B Files” survived the blaze but may have either fire and/or water damage, often around the edges of the papers. The staff at the NPRC requires additional time before patrons are allowed to examine the files.

Reconstructed Files: Following the 1973 fire, the NPRC reached out to veterans requesting copies of their original discharges and other personnel military papers. If no burnt file exists and the veteran supplied copies of their relevant papers, the record center will provide copies.

Pvt. Gandolfo Scarnici (photo courtesy of Virginia M. Scarnici)

Auxiliary Files: If the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) was destroyed and no burnt file or reconstructed file can be ordered, the NPRC will provide copies of the final payroll forms for the veteran at the time of discharge. These files are typically a few pages in length.

Examples of Auxiliary Files for Pvt. Gandolfo Scarnici. He served in the Headquarters Company of the 55th United States Infantry (courtesy of the National Personnel Record Center)

How can Fold3® help you reconstruct a military history when personnel records have been destroyed?

Fold3® has several collections that can help you reconstruct the military history of your ancestor. Valuable sources for the Mexican Punitive Expedition and World War I include service numbers, military units, records of events, and troopships. The following collections can prove very helpful in finding that information:

United States Army Morning Reports 1912-1939

United States Army Transport Service, Passenger Lists

Other sources for WWII research include unit histories, photo collections, and Memorials. In addition, the following collections can help reconstruct service numbers, dates of enlistment, admission to military hospitals, and missing aircrew personnel.

World War II Army Enlistment Records

United States World War II Hospital Admission Card Files, 1942-1954

United States Army Missing Air Crew Reports, World War II

Requesting copies of records

Patrons can request copies of OMPF files online at: or by visiting the NPRC research room by appointment. If you cannot visit the facility, patrons can also employ contractors to request copies of files on their behalf. The other option is to mail in Standard Form #180 filled out (which is a PDF fillable and printable form). This form can be found online at: and should be mailed to:

National Personnel Records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
1 Archive Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Fold3® has nearly 600 million records to help you reconstruct your ancestor’s military history. Start searching our archives today!


  1. Elizabeth Allan says:

    Paper medical records from the VA are sometimes stored at the VA site and also at commercial record storage companies, e.g., Iron Mountain (a company that has also had fires at various locations over the years). You have to request the records from the VA. VA medical records are maintained for 70 years.

    • Michael E. Pollock says:

      I am not certain if the situation has changed as I no longer worked as extensively with the records since relocating from Arlington to greater Richmond, Virginia in 1989, but it was either James Dent Walker or Michael Musick who told me that most pension records remained in the custody of the state agency where the pensioner resided at the time of death when that death occurred after 1932, and on several occasions, I was able to request a temporary transfer of a pension file to the Richmond office of the VA from other states.

  2. Rusell H Gallegos says:

    I requested my military records two years ago .no response when I check they say be patient.

    • Anne Romanello says:

      I waited and waited just to receive 6 letters for my father and uncles that they were destroyed in fire.

    • Ruth says:

      Same. Not sure this place is going to help many people in their search. Perhaps they are not still hiring people to process artifacts at this place 🙁

    • Linda K Baker says:

      That was the beginning of COVID-19 and it’s my understanding they were very short staffed and closed during that time. Once they were able to start coming back they were backlogged with request and still under staffed. It’s frustrating but all we can do is wait.

    • E Schwartz says:

      Same Here! I requested my father’s records for a pension claim via SF180 on 9/4/2020 Still no response. Just last week I filed with Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown for assistance. While on the National Records site I stumbled upon an online SF180 request. I now have a request number.
      These are responses from them…I would give it a try. It’s better than the radio silence.
      Thank you for submitting a request to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) through eVetrecs.

      Your request number pertaining to : *********** is ############.

      Check your request status online at

      Thank you for contacting the National Personnel Records Center. Your request(s) have been received. Your request is being processed, however we cannot provide an estimated completion date at this time.

    • Niki Wood says:

      Hello, have you tried I found a lot of my father’s records on there. He served in the Navy from 71 until 79. I found a lot, damn near every thing but pictures.

    • Carmen Marie Shelley says:

      Ask your Senator for help.

  3. Kimberly Siegert says:

    The MD National Guard unit that went to D-Day still has its original draft cards and many other items at the Armory in Baltimore City. I was invited there by the historian when trying to find some of my grandfather’s records that were destroyed in the fire. I remember my grandfather’s medals but all of his stuff was donated to a different military museum which also is long gone during one of the base realignments. None of the draft cards or any other 29th Division stuff in that room has been copied for electronic filing. It’s sad to know that level of historical documentation sits in some lonely room instead of in a WWII museum to be preserved for posterity.

  4. Ruby Robinson says:

    I was extremely excited to open this email. But after reading it I was a little upset. I’m very happy for anyone this news brings to find records for their ancestors, but for me , I suppose getting any info on my father’s records must have went with the fire of 1973. It doesn’t look like any records from the Korean War were saved. That’s upsetting, but also heartbreaking. Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

    • Ronald (Ron) Wenger says:

      Rubby, Check your local or in this case the Court House where your Grandfather lived when he was discharged. Starting early in WWII the military strongly encuraged every person who was discharged to take thier DD 214’s to thier local court house and have the recorded. This was usually done free in every county in the US. My dad, and my uncles did from WWII and I did right after Vietnam. You have no idea of how many times this has saved the day for a veteran.

    • Linda K Baker says:

      I too have an Uncle who presumably was killed in the Korean War, however his remains have never been found. All I can hope for is that when President Trump met with the Korean leader that the remains of my Uncle are among the 8,000 bodies (remains) that he released and that one day he will have a proper burial.

    • KC says:

      Ruby, in addition to Mr. Wenger’s wonderful suggestion to check the court house where your grandfather lived—some states also have backup copies (Copy 6) of DD 214s from that time period. Easiest way I’ve found of locating those documents is to contact the State Military Department of whichever state was your grandfather’s home-of-record when he separated. Each state does it a little differently.

  5. Jodi Way says:

    My Daddy was in the Army and served in Korea. I mailed in a request several years ago for Daddy’s records and was told there had been a fire. There was no info for me. Very disappointing.

  6. Steven Nash says:

    I have many of my uncles and fathers old military records from WWII. My uncle was in the Armyvaie Corp and my father was in the Army. These records have many names and ID numbers of people, military documents, that they served with. They may have some value for I’d purposes but I don’t know what to do with them.

    • Melinda Stroyeck says:

      My Father was in the Army Air Corps in WWII. Would you happen to have a Neil Stephenson named in those. He was at Gore Field in Montana
      Melinda Stroyeck

    • Linda Stauf says:

      Steven, I am in the exact same situation as you. My dad saved everything from his 30 year military career (1944-1974) including serving in combat during WWII. Many of these documents have the names of other men who served as well. I would love to share with people but not sure how to do that. I might put them on Ancestry with a link to these men’s names so they would come up if somebody is searching for them. If you have any other ideas let me know!

    • Steve says:

      If you put them on the web, I recommend,, or even facebook, but not Those first three sites can be accessed for free, although some require registering (which is free). locks the content behind a paywall, which requires people having to pay Ancestry to see your content.

    • Mindy Donaldson says:

      My grandpa was in the Army Air Corps. He served with the 475th Fighter Group. Please reach out to me!

    • Dee Ann Barton says:

      You might go to findagrave and search for each of them there. You can also create a virtual cemetery with their names and any other information that you may have found.

      Another possibility would be to find the U S Military burial database to see if you can locate some of them and their descendants.

      If you know which branch they were in, you might google that branch to see if something pops up.

      If you don’t know what branch of service, try the VFW or the DAV to try to get a service officer or member to help you with hopefully some ideas.

  7. Jim Vienneau says:

    I requested my grandfather’s complete OMPF from the NPRC over a year ago. He served overseas during WW1. His record must have been destroyed in the fire because I never heard back.

    • KC says:


      NPRC is *super* slow about record requests. Plus, they were on limited staffing due to COVID until Spring of this year and they smartly prioritize emergency requests (documents for burials or finding housing for homeless veterans) over history requests. If you know which state your grandfather lived in, they might have some WWI service cards available in their state archives. In either case, don’t give up yet!

  8. Cyrus J Staniec says:

    Folks, I do not often reply to these sorts of notices, but I can perhaps provide a little encouragement for those suffering from lost records. My fathers WWII records were also lost in the fire. When I requested them, all I got in return was his final mustering out pay statement, with his unit and rank. Thanks to his one handwritten note I had, I knew Dad entered via the NYS 27th Division (federalized National Guard). From there I was able to piece together his whole time in service using unit morning reports. and actually wrote the only existing history of his primary unit (797th MPs (ZI)). These records are in St Louis archives on microfilm, and I went there directly to view them myself, but you might engage a paid researcher if travel is an issue for you. If you have a serious need, you might want to look into that option. You can start a request to visit on-line.

    • Priscilla A. Glasow says:

      Small world, Cy! I’ll have to check the morning reports for my dad’s unit, the 11th Airborne. Hope you’re doing very well. 🙂

      Warm regards, Priscilla

  9. DMilans says:

    If you have requested information for genealogic/family research, you may find it a long wait. I believe I recall seeing a notation on the National Archives website that said the military would only provide an immediate response to requests that involve medical issues or death of a veteran. They are probably inundated with requests and the pandemic most likely compounded the problem. Hoping all of you that are searching for answers can get them in time. I’m fortunate that my dad, who served in WWII, kept copies of most of his army records and some personal souvenirs.

  10. 76patriot says:

    Our relatives risked life and limb to fight in the US military and our government could not protect their records. It sickens me to no end. While my father was alive he did not discuss the war (WW2). So I, as so many others, wanted to review my father’s records…only to be told they were destroyed by a fire…sorry about that.

    • Ruth says:

      I also thought it a bit strange that they had only the records stored in one place.

    • Paul Johnson says:

      It is my understanding that a great many of the orders that populate the Army personnel files that were stored in St Louis were duplicated in the archives of Army Finance files maintained at Ft Benjamin Harrison. Duplicate copies of many orders that affected pay (promotion orders, article 15 forfeitures, court martial reports, etc) had to be attached to the payroll records as supporting documents. Given the manpower, much of the personnel file could be reconstructed from the FDRF finance file.

  11. Oren K. Hargrove Jr. says:

    I requested my service record several years ago and was told all they could tell me was that I served in the Navy from 66-70.

    • Gerald Jones says:

      I also served Navy 64-70. No problems getting copies.
      TRY AGAIN.
      You might have gotten a lazy clerk that day.

  12. Josepha c penn says:

    My husband joseph Louis Townsend serve in the army in 1957 and national guard thru 1964 and try to get benefits because his discharge was medical. Because they could not retrieve his records due to the fire he could not get medical treatment from the VA. Who can help me?

    • B. Robinson says:

      1. First, call your Congressman office and ask for constituent assistance in this matter,

      2. Contact local VFW / American Legion posts – they have volunteers available who help with VA benefits and service record issues,

      3. There are VA benefit companies that will help you and only charge you if they are successful at getting you benefits (and then they only take a percentage of the past benefit amount).

    • David Charles Tompkins says:

      Can you lead me to one of those VA benefit companies that charge a percentage?

    • George says:

      Try your local congressional representative’s office. They can usually get through the bureaucracy.

    • Carmen Marie Shelley says:

      Ask your Senator for help.

  13. Carrie says:

    This record loss is a good reminder to do one simple thing after being discharged from the military. Take your discharge papers to the nearest county courthouse and have them registered there. My husband did this after his discharge. I don’t know how long the military has been suggesting this but perhaps this is one thing people can do to research their relatives. Ask the courthouse closest to where the military member was discharged if they have anything on file.

  14. David Charles Tompkins says:

    My brother, James W. Tompkins Jr., served as a combat medic in the Korean war. He did receive the Bronze Star with V banner for action that he took on the battlefield. He was offered the Purple Heart but refused it because he didn’t feel that his wounds were as severe as the soldiers that he took care of at the time. I would love to get that Purple Heart for him posthumously but have not been able to find any of the company records that may have mentioned that offer.

  15. Raymond D. Harter says:

    Wednesday, 12 October 2022, Okmulgee County, Oklahoma
    TO:, and referenced agencies
    FROM: Ray Harter
    Thank you for the fine article regarding obtaining military records. I look forward to sending requests for my father, three uncles who fought in WWII. Additionally, now I know that such a search is not hopeless. Please pass my appreciation to all personnel assigned to or who work responding to such requests which I will be making.

  16. Robert Marlin says:

    Copies of DD214’s used to be send to the local draft boards, regardless if the person was drafted or enlisted. Contact the local draft board where the person lived when they registered for the draft at age 18. Hopefully they have maintained their copies on file.

  17. Susan Kyle says:

    I requested records for my grandfather and father Col. Wm. F. Kyle Sr. and Pvt 1st Wm. F. Kyle Jr. I was told the files had been burned. Both have passed so how do I get more info on them. Would also like to get records for my Uncle. Chester Calhoun Kyle.

  18. Ellen Louise Brunson says:

    Thank You
    This is great news, due to my father Spencer L Brunson Sr records were there and damaged.

  19. Jeffery Soff says:

    If someone has copies of a family member’s WWII service records, are the archives interested in receiving copies to rebuild their records? I have never seen this issue addressed.

    • Linda Brown says:

      I’m glad you ask the question on helping rebuild their records. I would love to share my dads. They will be thrown in the garbage when I die, as there is no one to leave them to.

  20. Dyann Killgo says:

    I have my father in law’s military papers from the Army Air Force in the 1940’s.
    How do I go about sending this information in to get them back into the archives?
    Dyann Killgo

  21. Jan Ashcraft says:

    I would like to get information about exactly where my Dad was serving while stationed in the Philippines during WWII.
    Also, I’d like more info about his brother who was killed in WWII Germany right before the 3rd Reich fell.
    I know their records were in a fire.
    Was there another fire where records were housed or was it just the St.Louis fire?
    They were both from Memphis, TN.

    • Paul Berndt says:

      Quote: Jan Ashcraft says:
      October 12, 2022 at 3:44 pm

      I would like to get information about exactly where my Dad was serving while stationed in the Philippines during WWII. End of Quote

      Hi Jan,
      Do you have any additional information on your father’s service in the Philippines? My father served there as part of Co. G, 151st Infantry, 38th Division. If your dad was part of this, I have a complete history of where my dad was during the War and would be glad to share. Also many photos. My email is [email protected]

  22. Annie says:

    My father’s records were also lost. Nothing remained. BUT, I hired Golden Arrow Research to pull Dad’s Company Records from the 106th Infantry Division 424th Regiment Company G for his entire time with the company. The researcher went so far as to track the records from all the way to discharge even though he was transferred to an Engineering Division to prepare for the invasion of Japan after VE Day. Total cost was a few hundred dollars. These records allowed me to follow my father’s movements day by day for nearly his entire time in Uncle Sam’s Army. It was totally worth the money. You can reach Golden Arrow at I posted the records for 106/424/G on my blog at
    for those with any interest in seeing what you can expect to get back if you hire a researcher.

  23. Joe D. Morgan says:

    Two years ago, when people were encouraging me to get a veteran’s ID to get military discounts, since I couldn’t find my DD 214 form, I requested a copy from the National Personnel Record Center in St. Louis and after a very long wait, I received notice they didn’t have a copy of my DD 214. I assumed then it was destroyed in the 1973 fire, and I’d never be able to prove I was a veteran.

    Then, about two months later, I received a copy of my DD 214 in the mail from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. I don’t think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing there.

  24. Orrin Kelley says:

    It’s also good to check what the newspapers might say about service members too. The military units were mentioned a lot in both WWI and WWII, and sometimes naming names too!

  25. John Rabson says:

    Many Irish official records were lost in the fire during the Easter Uprising. I understand that much has been retrieved from other records but this took time.

  26. Linda Henk says:

    I have original military orders and my father’s discharge papers. He served in the US Army “for the duration” of WWII. Would the Center like copies? If so, how do I submit them?

  27. Glenn Archambault says:
    This is a diary from the mission to the Atomic Bombs by the Yale unit, the 39th General hospital. Many names in the documents that cover the unit as they move from New Zealand to Japan. The senior officers wrote diaries that include names and places. My father was with this unit and they are the only documents that name my father, no military records can be found. Years ago from a diary my father wrote I realized the officers in his diary were the senior officers that headed up the mission to the bomb sites to study the effects of the bomb. My father and a list of other men were ordered to the bomb sites by General MacArthur, he names each man including my father. Lots of names and places in personnel documents. Read this diary, a huge amount of information and lots of names.

  28. Marianne Pontillo says:

    I have tried to get information on my Dad’s service in WW2. He never talked about the war. It was only after his death (at age 61) did I find out that he was Army and had fought in Anzio, Italy in 1944. His name is John Anthony Pontillo, from Camden NJ. If anyone has info, please do contact me. Thank you, And God bless our military.

    • Joe Viola says:

      There is a copy of his draft registration in Ancestry. There are no other actual documents, but it does have his service dates and service #. Are there any photos of him in uniform? You might be able to make out a unit patch. There are many detailed books on WWII that will name specific units and where they were. My father was also in Italy after landing in North Africa and on to Sicily before going to the mainland.
      My father didn’t talk much about it either, but if you have brothers, he might have talked to them if only to let them know that war wasn’t like it was in the movies. That was pretty much the message when he would occasionally go through his box of souvenirs. Neither of my sisters remember that type of conversation. Good Luck with your search.

    • Linda K Baker says:

      Would Ancestry have discharge documents? Trying to find out if my dad’s was honorable or dishonorable

    • Joe Viola says:

      No, I don’t believe Ancestry or Fold3 would have any document that would state the actual discharge type. Not that I have seen anyway.

    • Dee Eva says:

      Not unless a private individual scanned it to their Ancestry family tree.

  29. Bernard Behrens says:

    I was a personnel clerk in the USAR and California National Guard from 1972-1985. At various times I needed to request military records from ARPERCEN (Army Personnel Record Center) in St. Louis MO for soldiers who did not have any records of their own. The fire at ARPERCEN occurred in 1973. Most of the time, the records that I requested for US Army personnel were for soldiers whose careers began AFTER 1973. The response from ARPERCEN was that the file I requested was burned in the fire of 1973. I don’t believe that these files leaped backwards in time and then jumped into the fire of 1973. Rather, I think that the career full-time personnel clerks at ARPERCEN were just plain lazy both then and now, and the easiest way for an ARPERCEN clerk to respond to any request for personnel records, whether they existed or not, was just to respond that the military record in question was not available because it was destroyed in the fire.

    For WWII military records, US Army officers were entrusted to keep their own military record files. ( “201 files”.) Both my father and my uncle were officers and so they kept their own records from WWII. After they died, their military records came down to me; I did not have to request them from ARPERCEN. As a military clerk-typist, I also made a point of keeping my own military records.

    • Everett E. Gilman, Jr. says:

      Bernard, you are 100% correct on the lack of integrity in this organization’s clerks being lazy then and now. I am sickened and angry in seeing so many families of Veterans being brushed off like they have been for years. I have been trying for over a decade to obtain details of my Father’s WWII service in the US Army and being awarded a Purple Heart due to being wounded in the NAPLES-FOGGIA SICILY Battle. I remember seeing it as a child and asked my Father about it, but he became upset and would never speak of his service in the US Army during WWII. I will never give up.

    • T odoms says:

      I agree with Bernard & Everett. My grandfather was also in Italy, lost partial right leg & to this day does not have a military gravestone. Although I have recently sent the information I have along with many articles to request recognition for him. He died in 1948.

  30. […] Michael Strauss has written an article concerning reconstructing the records that was destroyed in the 1973 fire at the National Personnel Record Center. This article appears on Fold3 at […]

  31. Linda Rolle-Davis says:

    I tried to recover my father’s paperwork, photo, for two years with no help

  32. John A. Miller says:

    I have been looking for my active-duty military records for the past 20 years. Specifically searching for my active-duty health records when I was stationed as an officer at Sewart Air Force Base, Tennessee, in Tactical Air Force during 1 Dec 1965 to 30 Sep 1967, before I was reassigned to the United States Air Force Security Service in Trabzon, Turkey, on 1 Oct 1967. Can you help me?

  33. Richard Wright says:

    Don’t bother trying to get any records from the National Archives. They no longer serve the public! I submitted a request for records for my uncle who served in the Americal Division during World War II and received a response that they will not reply to public requests due to Covid……… even after Covid was declared “over” by the Biden Administration. And we pay their salaries? Go figure.

  34. Audree Renee Dross says:

    Fortunately, my Mom kept all my dad’s military records & I sent copies of all his records to the National Archives. After receiving his records they sent me all his military medals some with his name engraved on them. I was able to build a shadow box with all his medals. My dad had a couple medals but they told me that because of the shortage of medal in WWII many service men never received theirs.

  35. Larry Stevanus says:

    When did the government / military start using the DD-214 please?
    Semper Fi,

    • Michael L. Strauss says:

      Hello Larry,

      I am guessing that you noticed the form identification for Burton Lancaster at his discharge in 1945. Then discharges were called Reports of Separation and authorized by the Adjutant General Office of the War Department (see the bottom of the document) for the abbreviations listed on the form. To answer your question the new DD 214 discharge was adopted effective 1 January 1950. Since then, the new form went through multiple revisions and is still in use today for discharged military personnel. I hope this helps.


      Michael L. Strauss, AG
      Ancestry ProGenealogists

  36. Paul Berndt says:

    I just got this from another, not military, forum. This map shows where WWII ships were sunk or sank. It may show some of the people who are following this thread where their family member(s) were lost.

  37. Brenda Joyce Elliott Ferguson says:

    My father is Henry Elliott, stationed at Hunter Army Airfield in the early 1940’s. I have only met him once as a very small girl child, so I have very little information about him. I do know that he was from Alabama. So I can only submit his name, duty station, military affiliation (Army Airforce), and approximate time at the base in Savannah, GA.

    I so much need to find his records to know my father and his family. Of course there are many Henry Elliott’s, so finding my father will take your dedication of time and desire to assist me in bringing closure to my search.

    Unfortunately. I do not have DD 214 on my father.

    Please forward my request to your most astute and caring researcher who undestands my need to know my father.

    Brenda J. Ferguson

  38. Linda Brown says:

    I subscribed to Newspaper. com, I found out a lot about my dad. I typed in his name, year, and local newspaper. There is a charge, but I think it’s worth every dime.

  39. Carol Pyles says:

    I requested information on my Father but the standard response the they burnt in the fire but his last name starred with a G so something should be there .He drew a disability check from the Military so there should be a separate record of that .Any suggestion where to look for that or who to contact.

  40. Niki says:

    I just replied to one comment, but everyone looking for records, I found most of my father’s on Especially if you looking for documentation for pension, DD12s, medical records. My dad just passed May 30, 2022 and his account was closed but surviving family members can get access. I urge everyone to try that route, if you’re not having any luck. They have a lot available except for media pictures and videos.

  41. Charles R. Johnston jr. says:

    took me 20 years and multiple people from state senator to active army officers to request my Dad’s records. after 20+ years ( early 90’s ) a envelope with papers and burned edges arrived. not a whole lot of information but it was my Dad’s records sort of…..?? what was missing.

  42. Linda Richter says:

    I have been trying to replicate my Dad who was a Medic Tech Five WWII. I got 4 or 5 pieces of supposed records that they charged me 25.00. Nothing else of use. I have looked for photos and anything else I can find on him. He is in Fold 3 I did make a memorial for him. Calvin O G Cooper 1916 June 12

    My husband of 51 yrs was in the Korean War as Air Force, Basic Sampson AFB, then to Buckingham Palace Chanute AFB as they called the barracks in IL. That place would make a beautiful Veteran’s Home. The AFB now has a museum and lots of records but I was unable to spend enough time there to find his records. I have tried searching Sampson and Chanute online. Going through photos, of groups till I thought I would go blind. However, I know a photo of my husband exists because he is on the Korean War Memorial Wall. We actually were able to shake hands with the President of S. Korea that day. He received the Sigmon Rhee from Sigmon Rhee himself, however, somewhere along the line, when his mother died all the medals disappeared. We have been trying to replicate or replace them. I would be happy as a genealogist to help in any way I can. I am not advanced but will do all I can to help. Albert Wayne Richter 10 26 1932 he will be 90 this year.

  43. Linda J says:

    I have many of my father’s original records. Will archives accept copies?

    • Audree Renee Dross says:

      I sent all my original copies of my Dad’s military records & they happily accepted them. They recreated his record & then from his DD214 they sent me his military medals, some with his name engraved on the back. There were a total of 9 medals. I was then able to build a beautiful shadow box that my whole family cherishes.