The Liberation of Auschwitz: January 27, 1945

On January 27, 1945, 75-years ago this month, the Soviet Army pried open the gates of Auschwitz concentration camp in German-occupied Poland and liberated some 7,000 emaciated prisoners. About 58,000 others had been hurriedly marched westward before the Soviet Army approached. Auschwitz, the German word for the Polish town of Oswiecim, was the site of the largest Nazi concentration camp during WWII. It consisted of a concentration camp, a labor camp, and large gas chambers and crematoria. More than 1.3 million people were sent to Auschwitz between 1940-1945. Some 1.1 million of them were killed. Nine in 10 were Jews.

During WWII, the Nazi regime imprisoned an estimated 15-20 million people who they perceived as a political threat or inferior, especially Jews. They were held in camps and ghettos across Europe and subjected to abominable conditions, brutality, and murder in what has become known as the Holocaust.

Auschwitz was the largest of these death camps and was divided into three main camps: Auschwitz I, Auschwitz-Birkenau, and Auschwitz III. Auschwitz I housed prisoners in abandoned Polish army barracks. Some were subjected to inhumane medical experiments carried out by SS doctors. Auschwitz II, also known as Auschwitz-Birkenau, held the greatest number of prisoners and also housed large gas chambers and crematoria. Auschwitz III was a work camp that housed prisoners working at a synthetic rubber factory. Other smaller sub-camps also existed.

The Nazis experimented with Zyklon B gas to kill prisoners at Auschwitz I. These tests were deemed successful and the program greatly expanded at Auschwitz-Birkenau. When new deportees arrived at Auschwitz-Birkenau, they immediately underwent selection. Some were saved to be used as forced labor, while others went directly to the gas chambers. This process tore families apart, and separated family members would typically never see one another again.

Arriving prisoners go through the sorting process

One such family was the Guttmann family. Irene Guttmann and her twin brother Rene were living in Prague with their parents when German soldiers arrested Irene’s father. He was sent to Auschwitz where he was killed in December 1941. The twins and their mother were deported to Theresienstadt ghetto and later to Auschwitz where their mother died. The 5-year-old twins were separated and subjected to horrific medical experiments under Dr. Josef Mengele. Their story is just one of many that occurred during the Holocaust.

On January 18, 1945, as the Soviet Army approached, the Nazis abandoned Auschwitz. The SS tried to hide evidence of the crimes committed at the camp by burning documents and blowing up several crematoria. The ‘healthy’ prisoners, numbering about 58,000, set off westward on a death march. Very few of them survived. The remaining prisoners, some 7,000, were too sick and starving to march and left to die in the camp.

Child survivors of Auschwitz wearing adult-size prisoner jackets

Rene Guttman was herded onto a truck to be sent to his death, but Dr. Mengele countermanded the order, saying that only he could kill his twins. With this order, both Rene and Irene remained in the camp.

On that bitterly cold morning of January 27th, prisoners huddled in their barracks. “We heard a grenade exploding near the entrance area,” recalled a former prisoner. “We looked out and saw some Soviet reconnaissance soldiers approaching, guns in their hands. The soldiers came up and said: ‘You are free at last.’”

The Guttmann twins recalled liberation day. “I remember walking out of Auschwitz. I do remember trying to look back and around me to see if I could find Irene because I was leaving this place. I did see her, but we had to march on. There was shooting all around us…then we were surrounded by Russians dressed in white uniforms, that was the liberation,” said Rene. Irene, who was too weak to walk, was carried by a Polish peasant woman to her home.

One year later, a charity organization arranged for Irene to come to the United States along with other war orphans, where she was adopted. She wondered if she would ever see her brother Rene again. With the help of her adoptive family, they managed to locate Rene, who was living in Prague. The family adopted him as well, reuniting the twins in 1950.

When evidence of the atrocities committed at Auschwitz and other concentration camps came to light, the world was shocked. Decades later, the 2005 United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution naming January 27th, the day that Auschwitz was liberated, as International Holocaust Remembrance Day. To learn more about the Holocaust, including survivor stories, photographs, and other related documents, see our Holocaust Collection on Fold3.

1. Theron Snell says:

Never Again is now.

• Victoria Park says:

Never again is forever . This should not of happened in the first place.

• Carrie Weinrich says:

Never again is absolutely now. And people say I’m crazy for saying this. Why do we not learn from our history?

2. Kathy Coats says:

I remember the Schwartz family who were our neighbors in Anaheim,Ca. Mr. Schwartz had a painting Business. I hired him and was talking to him as he was painting. I then noticed the tattoo on his arm. He said as a young child he was in Auswitz.His whole family was murdered. He some how survived.I remember feeling sick at the thought of what this man had endured.Never forget.

3. Melissa says:

I am so glad to hear that there is a memorial date that has been given to the her that was Auschwitz and the Holocaust….. rightly so, given the stories I have heard and despite the fact that my family is almost entirely Christian my father was a US bomber pilot in World War II and even he could barely bring himself to discuss the war and the conditions that these prisoners and victims of war suffered through… I must say I find it highly disturbing that there are still to this day naysayers who don’t believe that the holocaust actually occurred or blatantly deny it!!!! I happen to of worked at a country club that was exclusively Jewish membership and I remember very well on some of the older members seeing tattoos and numbers tattooed on their arms…. after having learned of the holocaust in school there was no question in my mind as to whether or not the holocaust actually happened as some of the club members but recall the holocaust they would remember the shattering of their family and sheer terror of being children in the concentration camps or ghettos…. National if not worldwide day should’ve been established decades ago!!! Now, as my children’s generation they remember the worst event of their lifetime being the day the world trade center twin towers fell, the capital building was bombed as well as doomed Airplanes. I will never forget that day but I’m also old enough to remember the Vietnam war the war in Iraq in the 90s and stories of World War II that I could barely get my father to speak about…. even as United States Army pilot he was all too aware and I will never forget him calling me when the trade centers came down crying on the phone telling me it was the worst thing he had ever witnessed in his life since Pearl Harbor!!! Personally I think the entire world should hold January 27 as a Day of remembrance for those who suffered so greatly and unnecessarily….. maybe forever rest in peace…

• Glyn Ryan says:

So well said, Melissa! How could any fool deny the holocaust. Democracy, not Socialism is our pledge to never let that happen again.

• I totally agree with you the world should have January 27th as a day of remembrance. Our children and grandchildren should be learning about this in school.

• Mary Krouskos says:

I think your idea is awesome. We need to unite in our remembrances and sorrows.

• Lex Wolf says:

Talk about run on sentences… I reside in Boca Raton, Florida and finally that idiotic Spanish River High School BLACK Principle was FIRED. The Principle that stated the Holocaust did NOT occur. Right, I guess Slavery didn’t exist EITHER.

• You stated that the original comment contained run on sentences. Which is true statement. But you must admit that your first sentence was a run on. And the job you were referring to is actually spelled “principal”. Why did you feel the need to emphasize the fact that the principal was black? What does the person’s color have to do with anything?

• Kevin Foster says:

As a Retired Air Force Veteran, thank you for your transparency of your views to the Holocost, 9-11, and other tragedies. My dad was a Crew Chief on the B-29 bomber used during WWII. He didn’t talk much about it but I know the pride he carried when he did share. During his time in the service he and my mom lost their first child due to him chocking of a bean. They never recovered fully from the pain. I was their 7th and growing up and as an adult I could see their pain every anniversary of his birthday or death and the holidays. I had anger however toward my dad because of some of the way he treated me growing up. You see he suffered from what now we know as PTSD. His outbursts of anger made me develop an inferior, stupid belief I could not do things as good as others. But this year 19 years after both parents died and 18 years after 9-11 where I developed my PTSD, I had a dream that I now understand about his DISEASE and able to start healing. I was on duty on 9-11 for the Northeast Air Defense where we received the call from FAA to investigate a possible hijack. Well we all know how that transitioned to the full scale attack on the US and I blamed myself for 2 years for thousands of people dying. Today I feel liberated as I attended my first 9-11 ceremony last September in Boston meeting family members who lost loved ones and now call me family. Yes I still am saddened at the events of 9-11 but to consider the loss of millions during the Holocaust and the atrocities committed during the WWII, I am almost embarrassed that we Americans living such a plush over paid society do not appreciate what others have suffered through for the world to be a better place. My prayers to Jewish community and every race discriminated against for any reason that God will restore love to them and I leave my anger and bitterness down for His wrath to come on them.

4. […] 75th anniversary of the Auschwitz death camp liberation is this week. See this post on the Fold3 […]

5. Stephanie says:

My Grandfather was captured in Nazi occupied Paris, July 1943, and sent to Auschwitz. He was murdered there. My father was born a few months later. I consider him a hero, because had he not hidden my very pregnant grandmother, my father would not have been born, and I wouldn’t be here. He was a french national, french resistance, and I wish I could have known my grandfather. There were roughly 900 men, women and infants on the same train as my grandfather, and only a few dozen survived. People of all nationalities, even someone from Mexico, while the rest were European. They had only standing room, on a cattle train, with one bucket for the restroom in full public view. They carried their suitcases and belongings with them, as they went to be sorted, where someone decided if they lived and were put to work in the camp, where they faced starvation, burying the dead from the gas chambers, and other work, or death. I pray my Grandfather didn’t suffer. People need to remember this, the medical experiments, the atrocities and brutality they did to human beings in the name of science, prejudice and cruelty. To be clear, I do not mean the Germans, I mean the Nazi’s who were at Auschwitz. I find myself like millions of others, with their loved ones ripped away, never to be known in their lives. We MUST remember, to never let it happen again. My own nephew told me that they were taught this didn’t happen as horrifically as it did. When I sat down and talked to him, about Auschwitz and his great grandfather, and what other people went through, he was almost in tears.If we don’t acknowledge, and understand from our past, these horrific events will continue to repeat themselves. Never again. My prayers to all the loved ones lost, and all their families.

• Mary Krouskos says:

Who taught your nephew that it did not happen as horrifically as it did. Was this in school? How can people, who did not experience the Holocaust, deny its authenticity?

• stephanie says:

Hi Mary, This was in an Ontario School, and I was very upset. This was my Grandfather, so I sat him down and talked to him, so he would understand at a personal level. I didn’t mention the medical experiments and those horrors, he was too young, even so, he was in tears … anyone that doesn’t believe needs to look at the footage taken and see the … I don’t even have words to describe the condition of the survivors, other than walking skeletons. To anyone doubting, I have looked at the train manifests from Paris to Auschwitz, we are talking entire families here… from grandparents, parents, children and infants, all murdered. I also don’t appreciate my Grandfather and others murdered being compared to what trump or others did.. .there is nothing else that has been this bad, and nothing else should ever happen again. It devalues what our loved ones went through. I do recognize we have to be vigilant as a whole and not allow this to ever happen again, and I do believe if we have a Remembrance date of Jan 27, perhaps we can remember our loved ones, and bring attention to what the dark side of humanity is capable of.

• Theron Snell says:

The Nazi program began with words, anger and resentment . The persecution began with small steps. Never again means now.

• Andrew Wardle says:

Thankyou for sharing your story. I am in New Zealand. Via Facebook I will start advertising January 27. We must never ever let this happen again regardless of any differences.

• Daniel Gilmore says:

@ Stephanie, I can understand that the atrocities at Auschwitz have not been matched. though I believe that the reason that Trump is being compared to Hitler and the death camps is that we are seeing the first steps being taken by the Trump administration with the camps at the US and Mexico border. the dehumanizing of other people that are not from the US or are not white.

• Bill says:

Yup.. it sure could happen again !

6. Daniel Glassman says:

A remembrance day should be established for all victims and survivors of these in fathomable crimes by tge likes of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, and the list goes on and on. Despicable scum, all of them.

• Dvorah Blank says:

You’re so right. We must also remember the others who were with our relations in the camps, and before. Like the Armenians of WWI , the Gypsy’s, Jehovah Witnesses, mentally & physically handicapped, the list goes on & on of the Holocaust. And AFTER!!

7. Donald Syler says:

When I was in my late teens I worked as a Guide at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. There I got to know an older gentleman who worked as a maintenance technician on the captured German submarine, the U505. Noticing his heavy accent, and being proud of my German background, I asked him about his background and told him how I’d like someday to visit my homeland. He was polite but was noticeably reluctant to discuss his past. One warm day, as I was helping him to repair a hatch mechanism, his shirt cuff pulled up and I saw the numbers tattooed on his arm. Never have I been so embarrassed as I thought back over our interactions and how thoughtless I had been. I’ve never forgotten that experience.

8. Glyn Ryan says:

I have been to Berlin, primarily to see the museums of the holocaust and to learn more of the history of that dreadful time. The German people have gone to great lengths to avoid the memories and any signs of that are mostly gone. The one museum only has symbols and not real photos to view. I have not been to Auschwitz so I cannot comment on what’s there.

• My Paaternal grand father was a Prisoner of both World Wars.
      First time he was held on Somes Island Wellington Harbour New Zealand.
      His name ,Bruno Johannes Globke,he was interned as a Prisoner of the British on the pretext of being a dangerous man who was scheming to blow up British Ships in our Capitals Harbour. Bruno was Jew from East Prussia.
      Second time WW2 Bruno was captured off a Ship owned by Arnold Berstein, this was 200 miles of the Coast of England late 1939.He was Interned on the Surrey Race Course prior to being shipped to the Infamous Internment Camp at Red Rock Ontario Canada,
      This camp lasted for eighteen months, and held many Jews and Merchant Seaman, some Political prisoners,plus many Nazis,the Jews were a constant target in this Camp, this culture was the war on the camp lasted only eighteen months.
      Any injured or or I’ll prisoners were repatriated,at this stage my Grandfather wet missing for ten unexplained years ,and resurfaced coming into Blaine Washington on a Refuge Visa 1953 never to have been heard of again.
      Can anyone help me with information on these Events Please.

• Chuck Haley says:

There is a very good museum at Berchtesgaden in the German Alps that pulls no punches about the atrocities of the Nazis.

• Amy says:

I have been to auschwitz. It is a very amazing memorial. Very tastefully done. With not just pictures of those who perished there but also where they were from, what they did, etc. there was so much to see and so many things that were so overwhelming and shocking….

9. Carl Sell says:

General Eisenhower made sure GIs and local residents were shown the camps. He knew that if there weren’t lots of eye-witnesses to what was there, “some bastard would come along and deny it happened.” A man who knew his history—-in advance. Today, those bastards are among us. Children aren’t taught real history in school anymore. Needs to change.

10. Varda Rose says:

Thanks you all for your compassion and caring. Many of my father’s family were murdered in Auschwitz, I had only one cousin and her mother survive that dreadful place, both had since passed on. I am here to tell you about it as my father left Poland in the 20’s way before Hitler, to go to Israel, as to him it was his home and he wanted to help build it up. Only two sisters and a couple of cousins joined him, the rest all perished in that hell hole, except that cousin and her mother as I mentioned, it was a big family of 7 brothers and sisters and many other relatives, they had a flour mill… all were murdered, their possessions and land were stolen. My father grieved his family every day of his life. I happened to pass thru Germany years ago when traveling to other countries in Europe, at that time I didn’t encounter
    any public monument commemorating the horrors inflicted on so many millions of people. I asked few German people how they felt about that experience, not one person was willing to talk to me about it. They just wanted to ignore it and shove it under the rug. So it’s good for me to read your thoughts, compassion and caring for the many victims. God bless you all.

• Joyce Penny says:

Varda, I am so sorry to hear of the decimation of your family and their life work. It is almost inconceivable that people can be so cruel but there seemed to be a collective madness at work headed by an insane bully – Hitler. We must remain forever vigilant to ensure that we can say “Never again.” I have spoken to many young Germans who, although not involved in those dreadful days bear the shame and anger of Hitler’s actions. (I have been told that in Germany it is an offence to claim that the Holocaust did not happen) And, sadly for all the mothers of young German boys who died because of Hitler’s mad vision, I have seen that there are almost no memorials in Germany of their sacrifice. Whatever the reason for their deaths – they were still deaths – and millions of mothers grieved. And in 2019 I did see one small suburban memorial to non-combatant war-dead. Vigilance!

• Pam Forbes says:

My mother was German and lived in Nazi Germany during WW2.She made it very clear to myself and my brother what happened during the Holocaust.She wanted us to know what racism and genocide was so that it would never happen again.It was her legacy to me and I continue it by telling the story to my children.

• Glenn says:

I was stationed in Nuremberg with the U.S. Army from 1980-1982. I had a buddy in my unit who invited me to come with him and his native German girlfriend to visit her grandfather. During their conversation in German (I was new in the country) her grandfather said something to my friend and he said he was going to get something to show me. When he returned he held the armband Nazi Swastika in his hands.The hair stood up on the back of my neck. I felt as if Iwas almost sure that I was going to be arrested and taken to prison. He told my friend that he had joined the German Army but did not agree with what Hitler did to the Jews. Whether I believed him or not that was eye-opening. I had always had an interest in World history but never would have imagined to come face to face with it. What you have endured with your family murdered by the most vile monsters on the face of the earth is despicable and incomprehensible.May God give you peace!

11. Meridith says:

I am 74 and remember learning of this atrocity as a child in school. Real truth has been eliminated in our current school systems being replaced with lies and Socialistic views. I am saddened to my core. Trying to erase such heinous crimes is necessary for the elitists to get a further toe-hold on our country, and as always, they begin with the youngest, most impressionable ones. Pray that we never forget those who suffered in the Holocaust else history repeat itself.

• Carl Sell says:

It’s time for us to stand up against the leftists and socialists who are trying to take our freedom.

12. Karen J says:

How can such atrocities happen? How can human beings become objectified by others to a degree whereby they are no longer perceived as human. We must all be vigilant and challenge discrimination and social injustice wherever it lurks. R.I.P all those who suffered so cruelly. All that is left now is to ensure history is never repeated.

• Saima Leon says:

I would say that calling a whole group of people “deplorables” merely because of their political views is a start.

13. Judy says:

I agree with you 100%! Patriotism has faded and we need to add
    TRUE History & Civics as mandatory courses throughout all of our educational institutions whether public or private! We also need to teach logic and discernment skills because presently the world is
    overloaded with false information, dissension, lies and even hate.
    It’s dangerous to democracy.

• Kevin Foster says:

We need a revolution to overtake History but also other teaching in our schools and parents need to start at home. Teaching what’s not taught. Values, love, history from Holocost and hard work. How to respect ourselves and others. Increase the war on drugs and liberalistic thinking that tear down the very essence of the foundation of this great country.

14. Ron Able says:

I see again where people have written remembrances of the holocaust.All of the incidents seem to be isolated but the truth is much more devastating. Nazism was total,there was no place you could run,no place you could hide no court process no mediator. You could not go to another country to escape Nazism everything throughout Europe was controlled ,the effect was devastating to know that it was only a matter of time until you were taken,and you would be taken,that was the overall effect of Nazism. To remove all hope from an entire world was the greatest evil perpetrated by The German Reich and supported by The Good Germans.

15. I was in the Medical Service Corps in the 101st Airborne. During training, we were shown some of the medical experiment/research films the Germans made in the concentration camps. They were shown for medical training with little detail of the circumstances under which they were made.

16. Terry Davis says:

Carl Sell, I would suggest you reread history. The National Socialist Party was a right-wing nationalist party – nothing leftist or socialist as we see in the democratic-socialist countries of Western European today. We have to understand the difference to see our real enemies are our former allies in Russia, China, etc.

• Carl Sell says:

Hitler was a Socialist, not matter how you disguise him. He wanted to share everyone else’s good fortune with his chosen people. Made a pact with the Communists and then broke it when he thought he could take their territory. Think like its 1930ish, not today. Although today;s socialists are just as dangerous. Don’t be misled by elitists anointing titles. Today’s European Socialists are just as dangerous. Far cries from our democratic society here in the USA>

• Izabella Mrozik says:

Thank you. Modern day socialism is very different from the type esposed by the Nazi party and Hitler. They were right wing extremists whose words fell on highly fertile ground.

The Russians were and are communist, a whole different story.

I was a school aged child, but I remember the whole Red Scare, a Red under every bed time headed by senator McCarthy.

• Carl Sell says:

I don’t need a history lesson, Thank You. I was born during the Depression and remember WWII. What part of Socialist don’t you understand. Fascist and 1930s Socialists were one in the same. Lets just agree that whatever wing Hitler flew with was terribly wrong.

17. SHEILA KRAKOWER says:

I am reading “The Holocaust of Bullets”. Lets say that I am reading and crying my way through the book. i have always been aware of the Holocaust, but the atrocities that happened are tearing me apart. I will finish the book despite the horror that I’m reading about. It is written by a Catholic priest who has spent a lot of time doing research about the Holocaust. He is to be commended for his perseverance and most of all, for his compassion for the victims. Never forget and Never again.

18. Mary Pritchard says:

I’ve been to Auschwitz as a tourist. We were only there about an hour and a half, but that was enough. One thing I will never forget is the baby clothing on display, and the hair cut from victim’s heads to be used as wigs for Germans and another huge display of all their suitcases and trunks. We also saw the straw mats laid on the floor of one room where those who worked slept. Another display was a big pile of personal items such as combs and little cases they carried their few things in. We even saw a few of the ovens with ashes still in them. The Germans intended to use everything. That was in 2000. It may be different now.

19. PatE. Freukes says:

The Holocaust MUST be added to every school’s history curriculum class beginning at least in middle school and repeated in high school…in BOTH parochial and all public schools!!
    As generations begin to go by, the events of the Holocaust begins to fade. We must not let it be forgotten!

20. jim says:

Trump

21. wayne lewan says:

hi I visited the camp 4 years ago and was shocked at the size of it.Do people know that all these main camps have subcamps. I recenctly visited warsaw in September and went to Pawiak prison and gestapo headquarters where my grandmother her daughter and husband were jailed . 2 of them were executed by the Nazis and my auntie survived the war. My father was taken for forced labour to germany a subcamp of dachau. His brother an Ak fighter fled Poland from Warsaw as not to get captured by the Russians.

22. John Overby says:

Many of the responses state “Never again means now.” Others have stated “Never again means forever”. What do you say about the camps that Trump established for the immigrants he housed and separated the CHILDREN from their parents even at very young ages. Never again is happening now in the United States. We may not have gas chambers and cremation chambers. Instead we have emotional terror and fear of never seeing you parents or children because of separations.

What about the camps in Bosnia? Never again is now in full actions.

• Theron Snell says:

The phrase is a direct comment on the growing fascist shadow sweeping the world. ..a specific response to Trump &company’s actions at the border. Alert a antifascistas.

• Theron Snell says:

• Michelle Isom says:

You are quite the idiot. Your information is skewed to say the very least
      Trump didn’t “start” the detention centers and the kids there have it way better than poor children in Appalachia or most kids in foster care. You don’t like him? Fine. Comparing to the atrocities of the Holocaust? Dispicible!

• Ad hominem attacks are a fallacy in any debate or argument. Attacking the person’s character, or calling them names, does nothing to further one’s point. It only muddies the waters. In a valid argument, one should use correct spelling. The correct spelling of your last word is “despicable”. The truth is that mandatory detention was signed into law by Bill Clinton in 1996. It was the “Illegal Immigration Reform and Responsibility Act” of 1996. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/illegal_immigration_reform_and_immigration_responsibility_act

• Kathy Abbott says:

Your “facts” are disinformation. Just like Hitler made use of to take over. While there are several issues involved, there’s not time to discuss them all.

One of the issues: About children in cages: The children were separated during the ‘holding’ time in the camps to keep them from being preyed upon by the ‘coyotes’’. Their parents were nearby. They were not locked in cages. It was a typical holding pen that you see in any similar facility. They were free to play and be with each other. The photo that circulated was of Obama’s facility.

The election is all about who’s in power. The Dems want socialism (which has destroyed every country that tried it, because it is not for the people, though they lie and tell you it is (do your own research and you’ll find out. )).
      The word social – ism implies it’s for the people, but only the elite make money from it. The rest of us suffer. Taxes go up, rights go down, and the government tells us what to do in schools, businesses, and communication. Don’t be fooled. It’s not about you or even society. It’s about the super elite who won’t be happy until they have all the power and most of the money.

Recall the story of the pilgrims. We left England to get away from the king who wanted to control everything, including our faith.

We created One Nation under God which led to freedom, private enterprise and listening to the voices of the people.

We’ve accomplished things gradually, eliminated slavery, given the vote to women, and defended and supported the oppressed in hundreds of other countries through our prosperity and believing in the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

How to be informed: ignore every headline, and without prejudice, find the facts.

Don’t stop until you examine both sides. Sensationalism has created violence and hatred, and down deep, none of us wants to be part of that.

Sorry I ran out of space on the imperfections of the Repub desire for power … won’t let me add more words

• Jeannette I Blumenthal says:

Trump did not establish any facilities for detaining illegal immigrants. Check your facts. They were built by Obama, even the cages for children were there when Trump took office. Families maybe temporarily separated, but all of them arrived at the border and crossed it if their own accord. There is no forced labor, no starvation, no murder.

23. Jean Harris says:

My birthday is January 27th and I am so proud to share it with International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

24. Doris Gorgas says:

Visit the Maltz Museum in suburban Cleveland. The photos and text are quite
    stunning- not censored at all. I don’t remember Eisenhower’s quote,but it runs something like this:” May the world never forget or deny what has happened here.”
    Why can’t we find a leader like him any more?

• kathy Abbott says:

Regarding anti- Trump comments on your post: why is it necessary to say things like “shame on you”. It is not shameful to use our freedom of speech.

This kind of response, not applying this to the current responder, can indicate an induced emotional reaction, not necessarily an informed conclusion. News headlines are written to cause emotional reactions. That’s how news sources make their money: keep you coming back to hear more.

That can be dangerous when we need to be serious about life and death issues.

But, I welcome that danger, because it is a priceless characteristic of freedom of speech in America. You won’t find it in socialism when the government controls what you say, what you spend, and how you educate your children.

Get beyond the headlines and go to the original sources. You’ll be amazed at the lies and disinformation you find.

25. JERRY MAC says:

WE DID PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP

• Paul says:

I can’t believe that someone had the audacity to invoke Donald Trump’s name in relation to leadership. This is not only inappropriate it is disgraceful. Shame on you for your ignorance and misguided loyalty to Trump.

• Carl Sell says:

Please don’t bring politics into this conversation about a devastating event. You only encourage people like Paul to tickle his keyboard. Things are going well in our beloved country. Lets keep it that way.

• John Overby says:

Americas do not treat people like the border immigrants have been treated under the Trump administration. It is just unamerican to do that.

• Theron Snell says:

To be silent is to be complicit. Alerta antifascistas

26. Arlene says:

I was visiting Auschwitz on 9/11/19. It took my breath away. We were offered the choice to continue the tour to Birkenau or to end at Auschwitz. They told us it would be a lot of walking outside. At first i decided not to continue as a lot of walking is hard for me. But then i made up my mind that i owed it to the murdered people to go. To see. As i was walking through i could feel the horror and suffering. It was like nothing i have ever experienced. And so ironic that i was there on 9/11. The people of Poland have not forgotten. But Americans have forgotten 9/11. Even people in our own government downplay what happened. (“Some people did some things”). I was telling some of our Polish guides and they were shaking their heads.

27. GREGORY G HART says:

About 20 years ago, while working as a delivery driver, I made a delivery to a customer in Schiller Park, IL. They were regulars and I went there often, and the same man, a Polish immigrant, signed my paperwork.
    One particular day, his normally long sleeves were rolled up to his elbow & was able to see a faded tatoo of 5 or 6 numbers. It took me a second to make the connection, but when I did, it shook me up a bit. I remember feeling kinda dizzy & seemed like the room was spinning. It’s one thing to read about such things, but to actually know a survivor is quite another.
    It wasn’t that long ago & we must NEVER forget . NEVER!!!

28. Jay Murrell says:

When I was in the 6th grade (1960) Auschwitz survivor Rose Van Thyn spoke to an assembly at South Highlands school in Shreveport, Louisiana. Over the years Mrs Van Thyn spoke in schools to thousands of children and as an academic fellow to college students in Shreveport about her experiences during the holocaust. I had occasion to reflect back on my encounter with this amazing woman when my daughter was a first year med student at LSU in Shreveport. My daughter related that her cadaver in gross anatomy was a woman of slight stature with numbers tattooed on her forearm. Rose gave back all that she had even past her time on earth.

29. Joanne Weinberg says:

RIP Alice Simon.My grandmother. #45392

30. Barbara Seth says:

Anti-semitism is happening now. Our children must be educated about history and human rights. We owe it to the dead and to the survivors. Tolerance should be learned, in the home.

31. It is horrifying things like this genocide that reinforce the idea that people must not be ignorant to the lessons that history can teach us. It is sickening to hear people try to deny that the Holocaust never happened. There is so much evidence that it makes it impossible to say it never happened. Writer and Philosopher George Santayana famously said: “”Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” His sobering words should be a reminder to us all of the importance of the past. As individuals, we try to learn from our mistakes. But when taken as a whole, humanity has shown the opposite to be true. History can, does, and will repeat itself.

32. Irene Bagnall from England says:

I visited Auschwitz April 2019,there is a plaque outside one of the ovens where people were cremated, this is to remember the millions that died there.WE MUST NEVER FORGET ,I am a 75 year old and as long as I live I will remember.

33. Cynthia Sy says:

Reading about this always teared me into pieces
    This reminds me that we have to praise God of our little sufferings because there were and there are lots of people who suffered more than what we are having right now..
    This is very inhumane even animals can’t even bear this !
    A kind of satanic act because it uses people to hurt people ,,through this ,,victims May lost their faith in God ,,as we see,, no matter how hard the situation no matter how hard problems comes to us
    There’s always a solution !!
    I’m really very sorry for the victims ,,
    We will always pray that case like this will never come again in every part of the world !!
    But the world is now very fast, tru Internet ,social media ,everyone will be automatically informed of what’s going on with the world,so that any country who practices inhumanity are immediately exposed and condemned !!
    For those who died May they Rest In Peace with God !!

34. Hannes Liebe says:

My name is Hannes. I am German. And although my family wasn’t directly involved – they were guilty in supporting this ideology and profiting from it.
    Further, they put a veil of silence on all of it after the war was over. No one wanted to admit they knew – but somehow they must have known.
    What has happened cannot be undone – but it becomes the responsibility of us as the descendants of the perpetrators to make sure it never can happen again and Jews are safe wherever they are and whatever they believe and look like. I am deeply sorry for the unspeakable atrocities and the harm that was brought to millions of people. And I ask for forgiveness on behalf of my people, my family.
    If there is a day to commit to stand against anti-Semitism and the need to protect minorities, it is today.

35. John says:

HORIFFIC
    May it never happen again !!! But our leftist government is trying to bring us towards socialism!! Which we can’t let it happen this is why they want prisoners and illegals to vote because they can’t do it without them B SMART VOTE TRUMP 2020 and read about your areas canadates and what they stand for example pelosi and her tent cities and VOTE them out.

• Sharon says:

Such powerful stories. The Holocaust brought out the worst in people, but it also brought out the best in people. Those are the true heroes.

36. I was in the Candn Navy during WW 2 and our ship had just pulled in and docked in Vancouver in 1945 arriving from the
    South Pacific and just as we left the ship a fellow on the pier showed us a picture of a pile of dead bodies stacked 25 feet high. We at that time could not believe what we were seeing. I have been in contact with many Jewish people over the years thru business and otherwise and find them to be very nice to deal with, And to this day cannot understand why just brutality ever took place.

37. Kim says:

I visited in October just heartbreaking everyone of us should go there to see what happened never should this happened again RIP all those who lost their lives in the camps may your souls be at peace

38. E R Anderson says:

Iran will never observe this particular day.

39. Stephanie says:

Please don’t trivialize my grandfathers death. That breaks my heart. He was French resistance, and was murdered….like millions of others. Entire families were wiped out and bless the survivors and what they had to live with their memories ever day. Your entitled to your opinion just remember the loss people like me feel, before trying to create a post just to upset others. This is about remembering. We must never forget.

• John Overby says:

Having viewed stories about the French Resistance, they should be considered heroes that lead to many successes during the war and ending the war. But realize that remember leads to thinking about what can and does still happen. Maybe on smaller scales and different places, but does happen.

40. Believe! This was real! Be sure the never happens again!

41. Paul Plackis says:

History will repeat itself.
    All that is needed is inexpensive bread and circuses, along with readily available booze and drugs in order to completely displace the the natural thirst for learning and curiosity and reading and independent inquiry.
    Once you have a lethargic and apathetic population lacking the most basic mental attention span or desire to read more than a few minutes at a time or learn and consider logical discourse, you’ve got them! You can control them!
    Once the ability to be mentally stimulated is gone, all that is left to stimulate is whatever feels good! You can own people like that!!!

42. Angelina carl says:

I have visited Auschwitz in Germany about
    18 years ago. All I can say is that there’s a heavy sense of sadness. My heart goes out to all of the survivors and all the families that were senselessly murdered.

43. Judy WOODS says:

I have some Jewish Ancestors and I don’t know if any of their family members were sent to the death camps. This is a horrible, horrible crime the Nazis committed. NEVER AGAIN!!!

44. Linda chism says:

Without the Lord’s light there is only Pitch Black darkness. We need to remember and never let it happen again

45. Mary Ellen Diederich says:

There is a very fine, (but disturbing) Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. Well worth taking time to visit there.

46. This types of stories …..saddening and uplifting.

47. Paul Diaz says:

I remember our neighbor, Elisabeth Schultz, who was imprisoned there. I was a child playing “army” with my friends. She came out while we were running across her lawn and we immediately pointed our broomsticks at her yelling bang, bang, bang. She collapsed in tears. Her husband came out and explained to us what had happened to her. It was the first time I’d heard about concentration camps and the most chilling and remorseful feelings swept over me. We apologized but I’ve never forgotten that day in June of 1964.

48. Wendy Terry says:

My grandmother taught us a prayer that my mother passed down, and is now being passed to my grandchildren…

“Father, you have given us
    So much love and joy today,
    That we are thinking of love and joy
    To other children, far away
    Red, brown, black and white,
    Father bless US all tonight”

It must start in our homes… we need to teach and read things to our children, so they know

49. Norbert Cantu Sr. says:

Hitler should have been stopped way a lot sooner. That evil man deserved death a million times over for his evil deeds.. Never never,never ever again.

50. Jack Hatzi says:

What the Nazis did was one thing, what a fellow Jew did is another.
    I just happened to come across a Greek Jew named Vital Hasson was instrumental in the deportation of Greek Jews to the gas chambers. His deeds are documented, but not why he did this.