Our last update to search was over four years ago. Since then we have had a lot of feedback from you and learned how we could improve. Today we introduce a new search experience focused on improving search quality and speed to help you find your ancestors. We knew that changing the interface could disrupt the daily work flow of many, but we believe these changes will serve you better in the long run.
A few of our favorite improvements include:
- We now roll-up large files so you only see them once in the results list
- A preview pane lets you easily view and pan a document without leaving your search results
- Narrowing your searches by categories is easier now. For instance, you can choose to show only the Brady Civil War Photos, the “Widows” Pensions, and the Navy Widows’ Certificates within the Civil War records category
- A date range tool lets you narrow your results quickly
- Advanced options like the new ‘sounds like’ (similar to soundex) option on name searches lets you more easily find an individual whose name was spelled differently on specific documents
Get started with these nine quick tips on using the new search and let us know what you think.
Watch this video for even more.