Fold3: Military records online

Fold3 Blog

The official blog of Fold3

Tips for Advanced Military Records Research on Fold3

Military records are a rich resource for genealogical and historical research. They are advanced records, meaning that unlike vital records that push the door wide open with a neatly packaged birth and death dates, military records sometimes require you enter through the side window! Once you find records, they provide a rich and powerful narrative of military service. At Fold3, we find similar questions posed repeatedly by researchers and hope to answer a few of them here:

Sam Carlson, US Navy – WWI

Military Records for Service After 1957: Due to the Privacy Act, these records are only available to the veteran or next-of-kin from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). On Fold3, we have selected records and photographs from recent wars along with powerful content available on personal Memorials.

The 1973 Fire at the NPRC: On July 12, 1973, a massive fire broke out at the NPRC in St. Louis, MO. It burned for 22 hours and destroyed 16-18 million military files. Records affected included 80% of Army files for Personnel discharged between November 1912 – January 1960; and 75% of Air Force files for Personnel discharged September 1947 – January 1964. No duplicate copies of these records were ever maintained. These lost records certainly present a roadblock, but other available record sets can help you construct a military history.

Widow’s Pension File
Benjamin W. Hallett – War of 1812

For example, if you are searching for a WWII veteran, you might search for records like Unit Histories, Missing Air Crew Reports, Draft Registration Cards, WWII Diaries or Air Force photos. Keep in mind that until 1947, the US Air Force was part of the US Army (United States Army Air Force – USAAF).

Navy Muster Rolls recorded the movements of troops on transport ships even if they didn’t serve in Navy; and if you know the infantry regiment or battalion your ancestor served in, that information can also open research avenues.

Amazing records are available in our collections of Casualty Lists, European Theater Army Records or user-contributed information found on Memorial pages among others. In addition, soldiers were asked to file discharge documents in the county where they resided. Contacting county records departments might also unlock a roadblock. Good luck with your military records research! Fold3 has over five hundred million military records available online to help. Visit Fold3 today!

Do you have a Unit History or a military yearbook? At Fold3, we love to collect these records. They are a rich, detailed source of military service. If you have one, we can digitize it and return it to you intact. Please reach out to us at [email protected].


  1. Did the fire that destroyed Army and Air Force records also destroy United States Marine Corps records?

    • Hello Eddy,
      No. USMC muster rolls survived. My uncle served from 1940 until 1946 in the Corp. His monthly WW II service muster rolls are available on Fold3. He refused to talk about his experiences, even though I am a combat veteran, as well. I learned his whole history and battle campaigns history from this source. The USMC refused to surrender their records and, as such, detailed combat records and monthly muster roll records survived. The Corp has all of their records going back to the beginning. The USMC records are newly available on Fold3. I am a professional genealogist and military historian with over 40 years experience. The MPRC in St. Louis is highly lacking. I served 15 years and was wounded two times from 1983 until 1998. They have very few records on me. Very disappointing. I am a 100% disabled veteran and had hell getting my benefits. Have found a lot on my grandfather on Fold3. He was a WW I infantryman. They have ship’s manifests etc…Awesome Civil War records as well as Revolutionary War records.
      Good hunting,
      1SG Sam

  2. Eddy, fortunately it did not. The Marine and Navy records are held at NARA II in College Park, Maryland.

  3. Don Berry

    I served in the US Navy from 1957 to March 1, 1963.
    I sent a request for my records, and they that none were found.
    The only record found was when I got the GI Bill in 1965.

    What Navy records were destroyed in the fire, are the records of my GI Bill at another location?

    Thank you

  4. I have been trying to get my father’s records. He was in the army WWII. I am his daughter and named after my dad who had many problems from the war so he had left or was asked to leave when I was young. He was in the China,Burma Indian Theater. I was told that his records burned in the fire.
    His name is Jean Hudson Estry. Mine is Jean Hudson Estry II and I am a female.

    Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

    • Jean-My Dad was also in the China, Burma, India theater, as well as North Africa and Italy. Army Air Corp.
      If you can’t locate any records-try various websites for WWII. There’s plenty of blogs, etc. with info on regiments etc

    • You can ask for all records including the burn file. Some of the records are still readable.

    • Jean, I’m in the same boat. My dad was also in the China, Burma, Indian theater. Some years ago after learning about the fire, I lost hope of ever finding specific info. These posts give me optimism about finding more. Good luck!

    • Check at your local Circuit Court (in Virginia) . It may be called something different in your state like Superior Court. Some of these courts were given copies of discharge papers upon return of the Veteran by the Veteran. Also local historical societies my have some records. If you can find out his unit sometimes you can find someone that served with him. They may have diaries or if still alive, they have memories they would share. Good luck and thanks for his service.
      Brian Davis

    • You can get copies of his medals if he had any. If you know what his unit was, try to find unit records-I have read some that weren’t my Dad’s and they were really interesting. The ones I read were a day-to-day diary. What actions, who came and went, even what movies they saw and food served if they weren’t fighting.

    • Robbie, where did you request the burn file from? When I asked, I was told that all the records were gone.

    • I had the same problem ,I found in some of my father’s belongs one document and that was a help but I had to put together his record from online ,what I could fine, then I made copies and sent to the archive so there would have it. it took me a few years to get all together ,but on Fold I being to fine bits and pieces of his war record, go thru everything you have of your fathers and go to fold ,also before my brother passed away , he found a son who was in the same Army-Air Force with my father and he sent us ever mission my father and the crew he was with , also go to your search engines and put your father’s name some times that work.

    • My dad also was in the CBI theater. He was a pilot with the First Air Commandos. All of his records were also lost but I did find out a lot about his unit and his war record from a website called Hermes Wings. It is authored by a British man who researches the British troops in the CBI theater. Many US troops worked with the British in Burma and India. He has been very helpful and has a lot of information

    • In Oregon, the veterans discharge papers would have been filed with the County Recorder.

    • Start by making a request the Nara.
      Sometimes a Dd214 with his unit number at discharge will be sent back.
      From there you have to work backwards with morning reports etc.
      Good Luck

    • I do not know if this will help but here is a site that may be able to help. Did your dad ever drop a name of someone he worked with in ww2?

      This website has page after page of people’s names maybe you can remember if Mr. Estry had mentioned those people and maybe contact them too get any extra information. I could not find his name in those articles.

      My father served in ww2 africa but he was in the army navy so records must be lost. Good Luck.


  5. My father is deceased. He reported that when he was about 19 or 20 years old, he was approved as a conscientious objector. I am not sure of the year, but I recall him saying that it was shortly before the U.S. officially entered WWII. He went before a board somewhere in Philadelphia PA. Would there be a record of that hearing somewhere?
    Also, I had an uncle that was rejected upon his application to serve (U.S. Army?), also in Philadelphia, PA. Where can I find that record?

    • Local Selective Service Board records would likely pertain to CO classification or rejection from service. These (I think) are in ‘textual’ (paper) form at regional branches of the National Archives (including the one just outside of Philadelphia). You would likely need to know which Board, i.e. his residence at the time, for an effective search.

      Also consider newspaper accounts.

    • NARA turned all the CO records to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. If you Google that subject, and the contact Swarthmore, you may find your info.

  6. I have been trying to find my father’s draft notice 1941-1942. The military did not take him and I am wondering why. I know he had a fractured leg at 16. Cruelly, my mother said he was not drafted because his reading skills were very poor. He was Clifford James Knotts born April 4, 1915 in Summitville. Ind. He lived in Anderson, Ind., Madison Co, when he received a draft notice but was never called up.

    • Linda,
      Look on family -military section/ civilian draft cards it may give you the info you need

      [email protected]

    • Hello Linda,
      As a retired US Army Infantryman and military historian, I assure you that poor reading skills would not have impeded enlistment during WW II for your Dad. Things like poor eye sight or color blindness would, as well as, health issues like diabetes. If his leg was poorly healed, that would be an issue, as well. Look on the 1940 US Census to see how many children he had. Men with numerous children were classified with lower ratings. Additionally, look at his employment. He may have have been in a field classified as war essential and exempted from call up. Farming was an exemption for married men with numerous children.
      Good hunting,
      1SG Sam

  7. I am 82 years old, served from oct 1958 to 1964 , served on the 82nd airborne division , I don,t remember much of where and how i served. please give me some light.

    • You were with the 82nd when it was a pentomic organization. See the Wikipedia aerticle about it. Find the sub unit you were part of and see that unit history to see wat your mission was.

  8. Does this site also have records for other countries like Britain and Canada? My dad was in the US army in ww2, but Grandfather was in British in first world war, and Uncle in Canadian.

  9. I have a letter of commendation my father received during WWII but it doesn’t mention what he received it for. It does show his SSN. From what I remember being told when I was young, he served in a motor pool unit somewhere in Antwerp. Any chance I can locate his records?

    • The person’s social security number is not their military number in WWII and at least through the Viet Nam wars. I don’t know after that. I think you need to have their military number to obtain records. Just FYI.

  10. My uncle was killed on the USS HANCOCK on April 7, 1945. His name was Dan Haywood Fowler, a Coxswain, who also served on the USS Saratoga before being transferred to the USS Hancock in January of 1944.. He was my mother’s youngest brother. My mother and all other members of his family are now deceased, He was never married so there are no offspring. I am his niece and the eldest family member who survives him. The Navy sent me his WWII war records some years ago, but sadly those records were lost during a move. Is it possible for me to obtain another complete set of records of his Navy service, from 1941 until his death off the island of Okinawa in 1945, and how do I contact the correct person?

  11. Regardless of branch, you cannot obtain records if you don’t have the person’s serial number. I wrote to St Louis some years ago and at that time what Navy records there were, were held there. I had name, ship name and dates, but they would not even attempt a search. So, if your vet is still alive or you have that serial number, preserve it! Other records for the Marines are included on Fold3, like disciplinary incidents during WWII.

  12. My father served in the USAAF during WWII. He flew the hump, was a liaison & glider pilot. He was the rank of Master Sergeant ( quite unusual), my mom told me he crash landed twice. He won the Air Medal, Good Conduct Medal and the DFC. I do have a book that supposedly has his unit in it but it sure which one. Since the archive section his records were in can someone steer me in a direction where I might be able to obtain more information?

    • Jim, try contacting the National World War II Glider Pilots Association, Inc. My dad initially trained as a glider pilot before the USAAF switched him to power-plane flight training, resulting in him becoming a P-47 Thunderbolt pilot in Europe. I’m writing a book about him and his fighter group, and have included an extensive section on his glider pilot training. The glider pilots association was extremely helpful. They maintain a database on some 6,000 glider pilots. If you scroll down the list of researchers listed in their website, you’ll find Patricia Overman. She was very helpful. I’ve also communicated via email with three other of the researchers, and all have been helpful. Good luck!

  13. My father served in CO “C” 34th Inf Regt Korea from 25 Nov 1952 to 4 Nov 1954. Would those records have been destroyed? I have his originial papers but would like to know what his unit did in Korea, he would never talk about it. Thank You.

    • Hello Beverly,
      Your Dad was in the “34th Infantry, 24th Infantry Division, Korean War”. Search for that term on Google or Explorer. There is tons of campaign info. Very distinguished combat regiment and division.
      Good Hunting,
      1SG Sam

  14. Thank you so much for this wonderful project. I wish I could help especially the Women Auxiliary Corps (WAC) of World War 2 (WW2) who were not officially recognized for their risks in serving & caring for wounded soldiers in the U.S. Commonwealth_PHILIPPINES. More power to all of you.

  15. I was in the marine corps boot camp in Parris Island S.C. In 06/27/1967 between late July or early August a recruit was shot in the on the pistol range and died, I was told by va no record of incident, help me find record please

  16. The restrictions on records after 1957 need to be changed so that after a reasonable period of time, these records are available to all. My first cousin died on active duty in 1964. His parents and his sister are deceased. I believe that this covers all the eligible “next of kin” relatives according to the government’s definition. Now what? Will his records be unavailable forever?

  17. I have been trying for years to find my real father from WW11 he was along with my mother stationed in Calcutta, India part of the CBI, released in Pittsburg, Ca, no luck, believe in Army or Airforce.

  18. Hi my name is patty and my birth father was a pilot in the air force in 1960 in texas. He was 35 years old at the time. My mother refused to give his name. I’m assuming ro protect his family and. Career. Can anyone help me?

    • Patty,

      Have you taken any of the genealogy DNA tests? Without any sort of identifying information, I believe that’s your best way to find a starting point. Even a somewhat distant cousin DNA match could help you narrow down your options to a a few/several lines of descent. Some genealogy sites permit you to upload your DNA test results [from a competitor] for free which broadens your potential matches.
      I’ve found 2 birth families and 1 adoptee (my full brother!) for loved ones [via conventional search methods] and am tracing a surprise “mystery” line of my own via DNA. It’s time consuming and challenging, but SO rewarding! I’d do it full-time in a heartbeat!

    • Have you submitted your dna to ancestry or 23? That may lead to some clues.

  19. Canada has their own site.
    Britian has their own site.

  20. Anyone know anything about the American Legion in WWII?
    I have a great-uncle from Omaha (who had no children) who — according to early 1940s newspaper articles — lost his vision related to his service in the Army and was awarded a lifetime pension. The only details I have are from the articles and the cemetery.
    He’s buried in an unmarked grave in an American Legion plot in Omaha, so I am determined to track down some official records in order to secure him the military-provided headstone he is entitled to.

    If anyone is familiar with the American Legion’s role in WWII or its record keeping practice, I’d be eternally grateful for any assistance/guidance/advice. My attempt to inquire with the [an?] Omaha branch yielded zero results.


    • Try requesting a copy of his VA file, if they provided either a pension or disability compensation you should be able to obtain a copy of his file. You will need his military information in order to request a headstone or marker from VA for his grave.

    • Zella,

      Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll do that. I actually found the headstone application on the VA’s website to help answer someone else’s question and it actually might serve my purpose as well. It specifically states to apply regardless of whether you have the veteran’s service data because the VA will attempt to find the associated records.

      The “twist” with my uncle’s case is that — from how the newspaper reported it — it sounds like the Army initially denied his disability claim, then the American Legion took on his case. The way it’s stated in the articles is that he received his pension from the American Legion…(not VA, Army, etc). That’s what confuses me and prompted me to ask about what services the American Legion provided, cuz I know little to nothing about the organization.

      I haven’t had any luck finding his Army service records, which I’m assuming is because his records meet the criteria for the 80-90% of records that were lost in the 1973 fire.

      Thanks again for your suggestion! The search continues! 🙂

  21. My father Andrews Richard Hugh served with the 11th AAB in occupied Japan in 48 and49 would there be any records concerning him in Japan yet?

  22. Is there a list of names of the records destroyed in fire. If I request my father’s records would I be told they were destroyed or just not available? Meaning they could possibly be somewhere else? He served in Korea for NJ Army National Guard. Thank you for your time.

    • Contact the New Jersey National Guard State Personnel Office. They should have a personnel file on him at least from enlistment in his Guard Unit to induction of the unit into Federal Service, and then upon return of the unit to the control of the New Jersey National Guard. He may have been discharged from Active Federal Service before the unit returned to state control, but there may be a record of that action. Be sure you get his military service number, as well as his Social Security Number (See comments earlier in this thread). May cost a little, but will be worth while.
      NOTE: Florida Air and Army National Guard Headquarters in Saint Augustine, FL has a wealth of information on its Guards People as well as activities such as the WW2 “Florida Defense Force”. They had my grandfathers original documents including his discharge: He moved to Washington State and they had no forwarding address.

  23. The tombstone of my ggg grandfather is totally illegible. He served in the military for over 30 years, which included the WAR of 1812. Can the family get a military stone for him. He is now buried on a farm, so we would have to get permission to enter the premises, but like to know if we could get a stone before asking for entrance.

    • Ellie,

      The short answer is yes. 🙂

      Use the link below to go to the VA’s
      “National Cemetery Administration” webpage.

      The website & pdf application explains in great detail who is eligible, how to apply, and what type of documentation is needed to verify the veteran’s service. It specifically addresses those who served prior to WWI (before official discharge docs — DD214 — were implemented). So hopefully this should be all you need.

      I’m glad you asked the question; it actually gave me a potential solution for my own quest in trying to obtain a headstone for my great-uncle.

      VA » National Cemetery Administration » Headstones, Markers and Medallions » Order a Headstone, Marker or Medallion for a Veteran Buried in a Private Cemetery

      Good luck!

  24. Pardon the reposts… On my end, it keeps darn link looks like it’s cutting off the tail end of the web address, so I’m trying to correct that.

    The full link is below. You’ll just need to backspace/remove the space between “…hmm/” and “order_instructions”

  25. “For example, if you are searching for a WWII veteran, you might search for records like Unit Histories, Missing Air Crew Reports, Draft Registration Cards, WWII Diaries or Air Force photos. Keep in mind that until 1947, the US Air Force was part of the US Army (United States Army Air Force – USAAF).” You are missing the most important and obvious record of all for Army personnel: the Morning Reports — which Fold3 does not have.

  26. My Father was in the Royal Canadian Engineers during WW11 and served mainly in England and throughout the Italian campaign. I have been unable to obtain his records as all means so far show no record. Can you please give me the websites, Canadian and possibly others that may contain info that you know of that I can check. Please and thankyou.

  27. In some old courthouses, military discharges were recorded on the Register of Deeds office

  28. My father was in Vietnam Army 199th
    Yes 66-67-68-69 half a year in 69 I’m my father’s next of kin he told me something about a fire but I need to get all records possible of his

  29. I have my discharge record for 1961, which I take may have been burned in the fire. Also have my father’s discharge from 1918. Is the military looking to reconstruct these records. If so, where can I send them?

  30. My Father served with the 28th Portable Surgical Hospital in China during WW II. He was in the service from 1939-1961.
    I have a copy his 201 file via routine channels as next of kin.
    I was able to get his Morning reports which listed members of his unit from 1943-1945.
    These men and women were of the greatest Generation. Their stories should be told-we shall never forget their SERVICE.

  31. For Lairel specifically & all interested – I worked in Adjudication at the VA where vets had help from American Legion and other service organizations when trying to get eligibility for service-connected compensation. The Legion and others only aided the vet with paper work, hearings, etc., and attempts to get records – they provided expertise to get around the system’s confusing ways. I never heard of any service organizations giving money – it was all to assist getting a government payment. The VA should have the records but it may take a lot of help to get them.

    I suggest you go to your state’s Congressional representatives and ask their offices to assist and for the state where your relative lived if different from your own. You could also ask your local American Legion if they have anyone working with the VA at nearest VA facility who can help you.

  32. Hello,
    I guess you could say my family business was Military, and Military Conflict. I served in Desrt Storm, (as did my Brother), my Father started Air Force in 56, Volunteered for Vietnam 3 times, his cousins were in Korea, his Father was in WWII (injured twice, last injury sent him home after Berlin, his Uncle served in WWI in the Army, but it was called 1st Air Depot as a Mechanic and photographer, in France and other places they sent him. I am told someone from our family fought in one war or another back to Revolutionary War. My question is, are any records remaining from WWI, or did they get burned as well?

    • Hello Marcus,
      There are multiple support records available on and for WW I records. I found several for my grandfather on both sites. Both sites are pay sites but are very inexpensive and very valuable for finding military records back to the French and Indian Wars. I found my grandfather’s draft records and ship’s manifests for transportation to England and then to France with his company, regiment and division shown. Also, check the veteran’s county of residence courthouse after the war. Those guys filed their discharges at their local courthouses like clockwork. Most state’s department of archives and history have records for WW I veterans, as well. My grandfather filed his discharge at every courthouse where he lived, when he moved.

      Good hunting from a fellow Gulf War Veteran,
      1SG Sam

  33. I need records from the Mexican War. Are they available to research.

  34. My grandfather was killed in Normandy France during the d day invasion how would i go about researching his records and I’m trying to find out if his purple heart was ever awarded. thank you

  35. I was told some time ago that there was information about men that were called up during WWII at the location of enlistment. In my dad’s case it was Camp Dodge near Des Moines, Iowa. That camp is still active today so eventually I will go check it out to see if that is true. That camp also has a military museum so there really may still be information there!

    • Jo Ellen, I was at camp Dodge last years, they also maintain a museum there. Contact them ahead of time they do close the facility for current military meetings.

  36. My Grandfather served in WWII, was I surprised that his records along with his fathers records from both the Spanish American War and WWI were still in position of the army available through th veterans administration.

  37. I was hoping to find my grandfather’s WW1 Army record, serving 1916-1918, and then my father’s records serving 1956-1960. I guess they are gone. So sad!!

  38. Hello I have been researching my father’s WW2 records. Drafted in 1942, when he took the Intelligence test, he was told he qualified for Air Force or Ordnance. I have been trying to find information re: how the text scores translated to where you were placed in service. Any documentation existing regarding the testing….
    Thank you

  39. “Records affected included 80% of Army files for Personnel discharged between November 1912 – January 1960;”

    How does one go about checking if a serviceman or servicewoman’s records might be amongst the 20% that was not burned?

  40. Two issues: 1- My father, Neal Robertson Stewart, was career Army. He was 82nd Airborne in WWII. We contacted the local VA Rep in Halifax County, NC when daddy was still alive to get his records. We were told his records burned. Daddy did not retire until 1967. In fact, he went to Vietnam in July, 1965 with the 101st Airborne. Daddy passed in December, 2000. Can we get his records?
    2-My maternal grandfather, Luther Earl Baird was in WWI. He was in the Honor Guard for President Wilson in France for the Peace Negotiations at the end of the War. Are there records for this duty??

    Linda Stewart Wells

  41. I am trying to find info on Benjamin Riley, a family member, served with 70th Tank (1st Lieutenant?) in 1943.

  42. I have been trying to get imformation on my Uncle Norman F Lamphere who was USMC KIA at Iwo Jima. What I would love to know is if there were some sort of year book or unit photo of the Marines when they left training in this era. I have also been trying to find someone who can help me get his service medals issued to me, as his mother did not read and moved around a lot. I fear that the letter about the medals either got returned to sender or were never sent at all. I have the flag that was presented to my Grandmother and some other records, but am having trouble with these parts.

  43. @Brian Davis: Good advice on checking with local court records. In many instances, you will want to check with the county Recorder’s Office. WWII vets actually received a cash incentive to file their discharge papers, and many are on file and accessible in their county of residence. The only place I am aware of where that does not work is Texas, where they have decided that all personal documents ORIGINALLY FILED AS PUBLIC RECORDS are off-limits to anyone, supposedly to prevent identity theft. It also prevents genealogical research!

  44. Remember to try the local County Recorder’s Office in the state where the veteran lived immediately after leaving the military service. I found both of my Dad’s WWI discharges on file there as he had gone in and registered them when making applications for home loans and property tax credits for his service.

  45. I am trying to find out where in Europe my great uncle was killed during WWII. His name was William Kiracofe from Cleveland County, OK.
    Serial # 20825504 TEC4

    • Cathy,

      I did a quick check on FOLD3 and found an enlistment record for a William C. Kiracofe from Norman, OK. Could this be him? He may have been in the Oklahoma National Guard starting on 16 September 1940, so contact the OK National Guard State Personnel Officer to see if they have a record archive.

      I then found a computer print out for your William verified by his Army Service Number, 20825504. Unfortunately, very bare bones, no location or unit identification (unless the codes used provide hints). “Original data: United States. Army. Quartermaster General’s Office. Rosters of World War II Dead (all services). Washington, D.C.: U.S. Army.” is the source, but this is an old publication and that office may not exist as such.
      Try the records Center in Saint Louis, but see the cautions in this thread regarding the July 12 1973 fire. Fortunately, you have his military service number.
      Check out these documents, which you should also be able to find on with a little luck!
      Find his unit and you may be able to track down a unit veterans organization or a unit history. The Government Printing Office published many U.S. Army in [email protected] histories, some still availble for sale, or in a Univerity that has a US Government Depository.

      Hope this helps.

  46. There is some amazing preservation and restoration work being done. I heard a records request is what often generates a project. YouTube video of the preservation lab gives you an idea what is being done. That said, a previous comment about blogs and websites for units and theaters of operation being a real treasure trove of information is often true.

  47. My Great Grandfather’s census records only show that he was a Government Employee. His widow received compensation of some sort after his death in 1913. In 1860, he was 19 years old and was said to have rode the Pony Express. Does anyone know of payroll records for the Pony Express?

  48. Anybody know or serve with edward miller or eddy in raf heyford oxford in 1962.he was in the u.s airforce..caroline

  49. Over the past several years, the NPRC in St. Louis has had a program going on to restore, or partially restore, “burned” records. They have been very successful in that effort. Many records, previously thought destroyed, have been at least partially, if not 99%, restored to legibility. I have received “destroyed” records from them. I highly recommend that if anyone received a reply from them saying the records requested were destroyed in the fire, re-submit your request again, (and again, and again, if necessary). I personally know of several people who, after repeated requests, did receive restored copies of at least some of the records they requested.